My review of the year 2021

I don't think so. Chorus, Halo Infinite, Aliens Fireteam Elite and a couple other things. Mostly expansions for existing games. It's been far more enjoyable than last year for me. Cyberpunk 2077 was the only thing I really liked out of last year I can remember. Beyond expansions to existing games anyway.

One of the worst years for hardware at any rate.

Which is odd because we saw a lot of neat stuff get announced, but all of those releases have been trashed by availability issues (for all those various reasons)

A year out and still can’t buy a GPU or console, along with various other things

I don't think so. Chorus, Halo Infinite, Aliens Fireteam Elite and a couple other things. Mostly expansions for existing games. It's been far more enjoyable than last year for me. Cyberpunk 2077 was the only thing I really liked out of last year I can remember. Beyond expansions to existing games anyway.
I'm still on the fence about aliens fireteam, waiting for it to get bellow $10 so I don't waste a lot of money if I end up hating it, same for deathloop.

2020 wasn't the greatest year either, but Cyberpunk 2077 was great, and TLOU2 was amazing, even if you are one of those who hate the story, technically it was such a leap forward that every other game looks like a stone hatchet compared to it. Those animations are two levels above any other game in existence today. And I enjoyed Valhalla too.

Even the disappointments of 2020 like Mafia Definitive edition and C&C Remastered beat the highlights of this year.
And while Breakpoint was not a 2020 game it's turnaround point was in 2020 when they released the immersive patch.

So all things considered 2020 was a far better year than 2021.

I'm still on the fence about aliens fireteam, waiting for it to get bellow $10 so I don't waste a lot of money if I end up hating it, same for deathloop.

2020 wasn't the greatest year either, but Cyberpunk 2077 was great, and TLOU2 was amazing, even if you are one of those who hate the story, technically it was such a leap forward that every other game looks like a stone hatchet compared to it. Those animations are two levels above any other game in existence today. And I enjoyed Valhalla too.

Even the disappointments of 2020 like Mafia Definitive edition and C&C Remastered beat the highlights of this year.
And while Breakpoint was not a 2020 game it's turnaround point was in 2020 when they released the immersive patch.

So all things considered 2020 was a far better year than 2021.
Still disagree. We have Aliens Fireteam Elite, Chorus, Halo Infinite, a fantastic expansion to Ghost Recon Breakpoint which makes it the game it always should have been, and so on. Cyberpunk 2077 got patches that vastly improve it technically and Destiny 2's Bungie 30th anniversary content has been fun.

I'll still put 2021 over 2020's game content. As far as I am concerned, this year is vastly superior. Although not necessarily amazing.

I had a lot of fun with Satisfactory this year. Hammerting was a surprise and fun for a bit. Ascent was a good game, another surprise.

Loop Hero and Hades, I played a good bit of both off and on.

I am looking forward to FFXIV Endwalker, but the login queues keep me from getting in right now, so waiting on that to calm down. New World was a massive let down, but I kinda saw that one coming from a ways off.

The thing I sunk the most time into this year was Rift, an old and dying MMO, but I've found a resurgent attitude in it now that it's of on life support. The community is unique in that respect - everyone knows the plug could be pulled at any minute, so everyone is just focused on having as much fun as they can while they can - there's no new endgame, and hasn't been any new content for a few years now. And I fully admit, reading that on paper, it sounds awful. But somehow, it works.

Personally - Thanks to the help of some folks here, I had a good year. I got to build a complete new rig and upgraded mine from 2015, including a very hard to get EVGA 3080. I completely overhauled my Home Theater, upgrading to 5.1 and actually running everything properly through the walls with professional wall plates and all, and later on, Atmos. And the biggest upgrade was probably getting Starlink, which lets me finally stream video in 4k, get downloads done in minutes rather than days, and it has had the most impact on my household out of a lot of things in the past several years.

Still disagree. We have Aliens Fireteam Elite, Chorus, Halo Infinite, a fantastic expansion to Ghost Recon Breakpoint which makes it the game it always should have been, and so on. Cyberpunk 2077 got patches that vastly improve it technically and Destiny 2's Bungie 30th anniversary content has been fun.

I'll still put 2021 over 2020's game content. As far as I am concerned, this year is vastly superior. Although not necessarily amazing.
You are just saying the same thing again, you already mentioned those three games. And ghost recon was turned around in 2020, not 2021.

Even if those three games you cite are really good, they are nowhere near as big as Cyberpunk and The Last of Us 2. and crediting cyberpunk to 2021 because of some patches is really just moving the goalposts.

I've tried Aliens Fireteam, you'd really put this mediocre little shootemup that has no pause, no saving, no checkpoints, no proper single player, on par with the best games? Now I've wasted $30, because I doubt I'll ever play it again after the first hour.

Become a Patron!
Back