Netflix Announces The Witcher Prequel Series, Blood Origin

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-witcher-netflix-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Netflix

Have you ever wondered what transpired before the epic events of The Witcher? Well, you’re getting the answer to that! Netflix has announced (via Deadline) that it is working on a prequel series called The Witcher: Blood Origin, which takes place 1,200 years before Geralt of Rivia’s adventures. Starring the first Witcher ever, the six part, live-action limited series will give us an idea of how the world of monsters and men came together.

1200 years before Geralt of Rivia, the worlds of monsters, men and elves merged into one, and the first Witcher came to be. Announcing The Witcher: Blood Origin, a 6 part live-action The Witcher spin-off series from Declan de Barra and Lauren Schmidt Hissrich.— NX (@NXOnNetflix)...

Continue reading...

"Earlier this year, Netflix greenlit an animated spin-off called The Witcher: Nightmare Of The Wolf, which will serve as the origin story for Geralt’s mentor, Vesemir."

Right before COVID-19 trampled the world I started to see this actually pop up in my Netflix recommendations. It's since disappeared. . .

Looking for forward to this six-part series and the anime.

I don't know how I feel about this. I could tolerate most of Hissrich's meddling in the first season because it still stayed close to the source material, but a completely new story? Let's just say my expectations are low.

I have never wondered what happened 1200 years before Geralt.

My problem is I don't need every facet of the worlds history. As it is we spent an entire ****ing season establishing the life and history of a blonde girl that just ****ing hooked up with geralt. And now they want to spend six hours telling us about what happened before geralt was even a thing and to say that witches have een around for.. 60 generations but now there are only a handful left because.. Why?

No, not. Needed and beyond that I just don't see the purpose.

So take your ****ing prequel and shove it.

I'm interested because the games tell a little bit about the 'conjunction of the spheres'. An event that is pretty similar to The Dark Crystal. Evidently his world was fairly plain, no monsters/magic and that event opened a portal in which everything came over. During that time the 'trial by grasses' was developed thus creating mutations leading to the witchers. I've always thought that content had a lot of potential for some good storytelling.

but now there are only a handful left because.. Why?
There's multiple story arcs. Spoilers ahead. At one point most turned on them and hunted them down. I'm sure you can imagine the plethora of political power play type plot lines(say all of that 5 times fast) involved. Plus some religious stuff too, and lets not forget some of the usual backstabbing among the different schools.

I'm always game for a good story. If it stands on it's own great. Just because it's set in this universe doesn't necessarily do anything for me though.

Become a Patron!
Back