New Dodge Charger Unveiled as “World’s First and Only” Electric Muscle Car

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Dodge has announced the global debut of what it is calling the "world's first and only electric muscle car" and the brand's "first multi-energy muscle car": the all-new Dodge Charger.

See full article...

"The Charger family will be available in two- and four-door forms, in eight colors, with either pure electric or twin-turbocharged Hurricane inline-six power, and several performance tiers. Electric Chargers get a 400-volt electrical architecture, except for the upcoming high-performance SRT Banshee variant, which will use an 800-volt setup. All Chargers, gas or electric, will have standard all-wheel drive."
F*cking gross (well not the AWD part, I'm a RWD/AWD guy, although AWD muscle cars are still kinda weird to me).

I'd be down for that inline 6 twin turbo. That's been a solid platform for a while for other vendors.

I liked the previous design so much better. Maybe it will grow on me.

I like the design and nothing else. Electric muscle car? Is that like a soy bodybuilder?
And while AWD makes sense for an Electric car (with separate motors for both axles), it is unnecessary cost and weight for a gas powered supposed muscle car.

The more I try to make heads or tails of the marketing blabla the dumber I feel.

All I know is that they will be selling DLCs for the cars. Which is an automatic hell no. Who owns the car? Dodge or the customer? If the customer then I should be able to unlock stage 1, stage 2, without the permission of dodge. But if they want to own the car you drive, they should just say so. Because why should I pay full price for a car they own?

They are trying to give the Mopar modders something to get excited about an electric car. They already buy stage 1 and stage 2 stuff. Dodge has been doing that for a long time.

I like the design and nothing else. Electric muscle car? Is that like a soy bodybuilder?
And while AWD makes sense for an Electric car (with separate motors for both axles), it is unnecessary cost and weight for a gas powered supposed muscle car.

The more I try to make heads or tails of the marketing blabla the dumber I feel.

All I know is that they will be selling DLCs for the cars. Which is an automatic hell no. Who owns the car? Dodge or the customer? If the customer then I should be able to unlock stage 1, stage 2, without the permission of dodge. But if they want to own the car you drive, they should just say so. Because why should I pay full price for a car they own?

An electric car is way faster than even the best gas guzzler, the instant torque alone makes a huge difference. I mean its too easy to build a powerful electric motor, but you have to resort to lots of technologies and tricks to make a performance comparable gasoline engine. The problem with electric is the batteries.

I also fear "DAAS" (Driving as a service). Companies are looking for new ways to monetize and subsciptions are the best way for them. I might be onboard if it made cars cheaper, dumping stuff you don't need, but its the opposite.

For someone who works at a car dealership the EV's are very powerful, but the sales have slowed on them considerably due in part to the negative press they receive. One manufacturer has a problem and then the public thinks all of them have the same issue.

The problem with Mopar is they have based their whole lineup for years on muscle cars (Hemi!) and now they just drop everything and go basically to EV's which to me isn't one of their best ideas.

The twin turbo six is a good choice if they do it right. Ford has been doing it for some time with impressive results especially in the torque department.

An electric car is way faster than even the best gas guzzler, the instant torque alone makes a huge difference. I mean its too easy to build a powerful electric motor, but you have to resort to lots of technologies and tricks to make a performance comparable gasoline engine. The problem with electric is the batteries.
I don't care about being faster, it is the feeling that matters. I don't need a car that's faster than 7 seconds to 60 to get a satisfactory driving experience. It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car faster.
I also fear "DAAS" (Driving as a service). Companies are looking for new ways to monetize and subsciptions are the best way for them. I might be onboard if it made cars cheaper, dumping stuff you don't need, but its the opposite.
It shouldn't simply be cheaper. If I don't own the car, there should be no purchase necessary, period.

I don't care about being faster, it is the feeling that matters. I don't need a car that's faster than 7 seconds to 60 to get a satisfactory driving experience. It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car faster.

It shouldn't simply be cheaper. If I don't own the car, there should be no purchase necessary, period.

Even "cheap" electric cars pack a punch and the feel when you accelerate is better than many gas sportscars (again thanks to instant torque). Passing cars seem effortlessly, you don't even have to switch gears. Yes its different than hearing the engine roar and the chassis tremble. I love that feel, but men getting pushed into the seat of a tesla on the press of a pedal is a different experience.

Its no surprise that teslas can beat tuned cars with 700+hp on the 1/4 mile.

Electric still has a long way to go (battery wise), but it will get there eventually.

I have to correct you here. A electric car is QUICKER than a gas car. But class for class a gas car will be ultimately faster than an electric. Just takes longer. ;)

I have to correct you here. A electric car is QUICKER than a gas car. But class for class a gas car will be ultimately faster than an electric. Just takes longer. ;)
maybe if it has a higher top speed and a long enough road... or if the battery drains ;) ;)

For someone who works at a car dealership the EV's are very powerful, but the sales have slowed on them considerably due in part to the negative press they receive. One manufacturer has a problem and then the public thinks all of them have the same issue.

The problem with Mopar is they have based their whole lineup for years on muscle cars (Hemi!) and now they just drop everything and go basically to EV's which to me isn't one of their best ideas.
This decision never made sense to me. It's one thing to phase them in gradually, but to go all in at this stage seems premature at best.

maybe if it has a higher top speed and a long enough road... or if the battery drains ;) ;)
That's just it due to gearing and other limiting factors the top speed of an electric car is way under what a gas car can do. that's why the top cars are hybrid or pure ICE. But NOTHING can touch electric for off the line speed.

Even "cheap" electric cars pack a punch and the feel when you accelerate is better than many gas sportscars (again thanks to instant torque).
Well not necessarily, the Dacia Spring is one of the slowest cars on the market today despite being full electric.
The acceleration is used as a kind of unnecessary gimmick to try and make expensive electric cars more appealing. Most of which are still priced as luxury cars. But the extreme launches cause excessive wear to not just the drivetrain but especially the battery. This is why there are cars now that limit how many times you can use full acceleration in the lifetime of the vehicle.

Which I frankly find extremely questionable practice. Either the car can do it reliably then it should be unrestricted, or it can't and so it shouldn't even be an option. You never seen gas powered cars have a higher power mode that is limited to a certain number of uses.
Passing cars seem effortlessly, you don't even have to switch gears. Yes its different than hearing the engine roar and the chassis tremble. I love that feel, but men getting pushed into the seat of a tesla on the press of a pedal is a different experience.
Going through the gears is part of the experience, even with an automatic, although I prefer manual. Where many people also argue that the automatic is faster, yes and I don't care. We are talking street cars, not chasing hundredth of a second on a racetrack.
Its no surprise that teslas can beat tuned cars with 700+hp on the 1/4 mile.
Yes, ruining it for everyone by being boring. I'd take any sports car over a tesla even with 100hp without hesitation.
Electric still has a long way to go (battery wise), but it will get there eventually.
IDK why is it assumed that batteries will improve exponentially any time soon. The technology has been stagnant for a long time, there were no major breakthroughs. The only thing changing is the amount of cells crammed into cars, making them extremely heavy fire hazards. What nobody talks about is that you only need to carry 50kg of gas to go 500 km even with an older less efficient engine. But you need 500 kg of battery to do the same with an electric car. And the battery will weigh the same whether full or empty.

Last edited:
Which I frankly find extremely questionable practice. Either the car can do it reliably then it should be unrestricted, or it can't and so it shouldn't even be an option. You never seen gas powered cars have a higher power mode that is limited to a certain number of uses.

Anything mechanical that moves will wear out or break eventually. Seen plenty of ICE vehicles with less then 10k Km with something seriously busted, and not alwaus due to user error either.

Anything mechanical that moves will wear out or break eventually. Seen plenty of ICE vehicles with less then 10k Km with something seriously busted, and not alwaus due to user error either.
Of course things break sometimes, that wasn't the point. This is a scummy thing they are trying to normalize. They can claim the car can do X when in reality it only does Y. A parallel from the computer world would be faking performance in benchmarks.

Well most of the issues are inherent to electric cars, so they do have the same issue. I think the current slowed down sales is the normal, and what we had until now was caused by the hype and government subsidies.

Of course things break sometimes, that wasn't the point. This is a scummy thing they are trying to normalize. They can claim the car can do X when in reality it only does Y. A parallel from the computer world would be faking performance in benchmarks.

You should check this video out from around the 5 min mark

You should check this video out from around the 5 min mark
You should just make the point you want to make because I have no idea what is it I'm supposed to learn from the video? That exotic car maintenance is expensive?

Become a Patron!
Back