New Intel DG2 Gaming GPU Reportedly Comes Close to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-graphics-xe-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

TUM_APISAK has shared some figures that demonstrate how two of Intel’s upcoming Xe-HPG DG2 gaming GPUs might fare against the competition. According to the leaker, Intel’s second-best DG2 GPU—a newly discovered SKU featuring 448 Execution Units and a boost clock of 1.8 GHz—will come quite close to NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards in terms of performance. This particular GPU is also said to be 8 percent slower than AMD’s Radeon RX 6700 XT. Another of Intel’s DG2 GPUs, which only features 128 Execution Units but a boost clock of 1.9 GHz, is estimated to be 12 percent faster than NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1650.

RX 6700 XT 100%RTX 3070 97%448EU @ 1.8 GHz 92%⬅️———————————-128EU @ 1.9 GHz 100%⬅️GTX 1650 88% pic.twitter.com/giPGE8JtBJ— APISAK (@TUM_APISAK)...

Continue reading...

Again only time will tell. Once there is product in people's hands.

If it ever comes to light. It's like Blizzard products, hype years before anyone can buy it

I welcome the competition. But we'll see.... and will they do something to limit mining so we can actually purchase one?

Only the Shadow knows...

I thought pc hardware was like fine wine... An Intel gpu 5 years in the making, way better than a new Nvidia. Nvidia's is all green and sour you see...

How many years do you think Ampere has been in developent?

Way better is yet to be seen. Kudos to intel for coming back to graphics cards but they have yet to prove to be worthy.

We're comparing to Nvidia here... but the real comparison is with AMD.

And where AMD needs to worry is that while they've been competing with Nvidia in terms of hardware off and on, they've mostly been losing when it comes to software support.

And Intel is the king of software support. They have drivers in Linux kernels before their hardware is released, for example, and Intel's video transcoders are the best supported around.

Now they're going to put some grunt behind their already well-supported GPU hardware. I'm expecting a rocky start with plenty of issues to go around, but once developers are tuned in to 'Xe', which is competing for wafer capacity at TSMC alongside AMD, well, AMD has reason to worry, and perhaps redouble their efforts.

Since I don't want to end on a negative note: I do sincerely hope that AMD is able to redouble their efforts in the GPU space. Things do look a bit bleak, but we're also in position for AMD to pull off another Radeon 9700 Pro too!

And Intel is the king of software support. They have drivers in Linux kernels before their hardware is released, for example, and Intel's video transcoders are the best supported around.
I don't know if I would go that far. Their driver support cadence is... abysmal. And for a gaming card, those drivers have tweaks/updates with every major game release. Intel drivers are more like every other year. They are almost always very stable and mature, but they don't get frequent updates.

Now maybe they can develop an architecture that doesn't need to have driver updates for every game. I kinda doubt it though. And a couple of years back Intel had committed to better video driver releases, and went so far as to have a special group for it. Seems like Kyle had some hand in that in his short stint over at Intel - but seems that group kinda dissolved once Intel started having financial troubles and the driver program seemed to have kinda went with it.

So that leaves me with ... reservations.

Since I don't want to end on a negative note: I do sincerely hope that AMD is able to redouble their efforts in the GPU space. Things do look a bit bleak, but we're also in position for AMD to pull off another Radeon 9700 Pro too!

The comment about Intel and AMD competing for fab capacity is very valid. Intel can afford to buy priority - I don't know that AMD can, and AMD only has the benefit of foresight getting in bed with TSMC as soon as their contact with GF allowed them to, which was before a lot of other players.

That said, the other part of this that should worry AMD, is that of the capacity they do have, they currently have to split it internally between CPU and GPU production. Which hurts even further when it comes to the GPU race.

And that's without mentioning Apple. Who may as well own TSMC now, and everyone, including Intel, are just getting whatever capacity is left over after Apple gets their choice of it.

AMD really needs to diversify their process nodes and start spreading their various products around a bit, it's a very critical Achille's heel right now for them.

I don't know if I would go that far. Their driver support cadence is... abysmal. And for a gaming card, those drivers have tweaks/updates with every major game release. Intel drivers are more like every other year. They are almost always very stable and mature, but they don't get frequent updates.
A will and a way, I think; it seems pretty silly to optimize AAA titles for Intel graphics when the hardware tops out at IGP level, and vise-versa for drivers on Intel's side.

Intel just has the resources and know-how (or resources to buy the know-how) to really keep up should they wind up with hardware on the shelves that's worth buying, IMO.

That said, the other part of this that should worry AMD, is that of the capacity they do have, they currently have to split it internally between CPU and GPU production. Which hurts even further when it comes to the GPU race.

And that's without mentioning Apple. Who may as well own TSMC now, and everyone, including Intel, are just getting whatever capacity is left over after Apple gets their choice of it.
And Apple is coming after Microsoft - which is the only vibe I get from Windows 11. That Microsoft's actually worried about Apple again.

I think they're right to be :)

Become a Patron!
Back