New Nintendo Switch to Feature Upgraded NVIDIA Chip for DLSS Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nintendo-switch-console-1024x577.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Rumors of the Nintendo Switch supporting NVIDIA’s deep learning super sampling image upscaling technology, DLSS, are steadily increasing. The latest report stems from Bloomberg, whose sources believe that the next iteration of the popular hybrid console will feature an upgraded chip from green team that makes 4K gaming on the system possible. Nintendo’s new Switch model is also said to feature an OLED display, which presumably boasts superior contrast and black levels.

“The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently,” Bloomberg wrote. “That will allow the console, which is also...

Continue reading...

Means there will be no inventory.

But that’s been kinda Nintendo’s thing - their (good) devices are always scarce for a good bit on release
Yep, That's been true long before COVID and the other current levels of insanity.

If it can do DLSS, I wonder if that means it's using Xavier or some variation thereof.
Good question. I've always thought it was neat how they managed to use Tegra GPUs. I've got an old Toshiba tablet that has one of the 1st gens of Tegra. It was awesome back in the day. Still have it in a closet. It was a beast, full sized HDMI, SD,and USB ports(2 or 3 of 'em if I remember correctly), plus a small HDD and a 720p screen. I forget the Tegra specs at the moment.

Edit: Tegra SoC

Good question. I've always thought it was neat how they managed to use Tegra GPUs. I've got an old Toshiba tablet that has one of the 1st gens of Tegra. It was awesome back in the day. Still have it in a closet. It was a beast, full sized HDMI, SD,and USB ports(2 or 3 of 'em if I remember correctly), plus a small HDD and a 720p screen. I forget the Tegra specs at the moment.

Edit: Tegra SoC
Tegra X1 is Maxwell-based. I think the GPU on it has 1 TFLOP/s of FP16 performance (around GTX 280 performance). The latest iteration of the Switch that is available is the X1+, though, and I can't find any info on that one other than it uses less power. Could be on a smaller or refined process.

Xavier is Volta-based and has Tensor, which is why I am thinking they will be using some modified version of that. If I recall correctly it has 2 TFLOP/s of FP16 performance.

Become a Patron!
Back