New Rumors Claim That AMD’s Zen 3-Based Ryzen 4000 CPUs Will Feature IPC Improvements of over 17 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-badge-circle-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

About to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000-series processor? You may want to demonstrate a bit of patience, as the latest rumors suggest that AMD’s next CPU generation will be especially spectacular. According to a post on Weibo by Ice universe, a well-known Samsung leaker, Zen 3 chips will flaunt IPC improvements of over 17 percent. His/her original comments were translated by @chiakokhua, whose interpretation is as follows:

“Internal rumors circulating among engineers at two well-known OEMs indicate that the performance of current Zen 3 engineering samples have risen to an ‘alarming’ level.”

“Judging from current information about Intel’s products that these two OEMs possess, AMD’s new Ryzen 4th generation will utterly beat Intel in both performance and power...

Continue reading...

I've been very tempted to upgrade, but I believe I will hold off for the 4000 series.

...hmm do I put my 3700x in my daughter's rig and sell her 3600x? ..or do I just sell my 3700x outright so i can get me a new 4000 series chip..? hmmm ...

If you are to trust Jim's high trust in a particular source
which merely points out things which were already circulating around for a while, except with a "don't get too excited" cover.
Then "strictly single-threaded" IPC increases are in the 10-15% realm, perfectly realistic.
However, it also confirms that there's no more CCX-splits within a CCD - thus we're looking at 8 cores with ~32 MB of L3 - instead of 4+4 cores with 16+16 MB of L3

Now, what if I were to tell you that I've been in info-wars long enough to know that specifically wording things such as "single-threaded IPC increase" constitutes an insinuation towards something.
And indeed, what if I were to also tell you that we have a handy-dandy comparison point coming out very recently;

What is notably present in this set of bench data, is a 3300x and a 3100 both running at 4.4 Ghz with matched settings in all other regards.
That is a 4+0 core CPU with 16+0 MB of L3 cache, versus a 2+2 core with 8+8 MB of L3 cache
Zen3 brings us a 8+0 core CPU with 32+0 MB of L3 cache, versus 4+4 cores with 16+16 MB of L3 cache that we saw with Zen2

If you wish to guesstimate the impact of this consolidation, you can take a looksie at the difference between the 3300/3100 at 4.4 Ghz - then multiply the difference by whatever 1.1x to 1.15x your optimism prefers.

I was bored after waking up today, so I did a bit of that;
Code:
Since I was bored, I decided to take a looksie at the clock-for-clock disparity between the 3100 and 3300x as I mentioned in regards to it being a hint as to Zen3's improvement in >4-core calculation activities.

Given a baseline of 1.11x ""IPC"" performance; there's an uplift of ~1.12x-1.15x in applications that don't actually give much of a **** - as they operate on a strict "each core does a small chunk of the same work" diet, without any cross-talk

In applications which do have cross-talk, it's more along the lines of 1.2-1.25x

In applications where the cache coherency is critical for all cores doing their job properly, the uplift is around 1.45x*
* (this is a rather extreme code-compilation example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2fFpzPKPg&t=23m30s thus I wouldn't read too much into it)

For repeating my little thought experiment, you gather numbers from the 3300x 4.4 Ghz and 3100 4.4 Ghz charts - calculate the difference, then apply the Zen3 vs. Zen2 IPC differential you'd like to present (I went with a rather conservative 11%)

; )

Cant wait to get off the i7-4770(k?)
I'd rather recommend getting familiar with all that wack-*** AM4 tweaking jazz now, rather than waiting for Zen3 to pop out.
I came off an i5-4690k, and this dinky little 3600 with its release-day trash-tier silicon runs goddamn circles around that platform.

A 3600 is cheap, a 3300x is A Cheapskate Start™ - and if you're waiting for the latter, then I'd grab an x570 Tomahawk once you're done waiting for it to actually hit shelves.

Last edited:
which merely points out things which were already circulating around for a while, except with a "don't get too excited" cover.
Then "strictly single-threaded" IPC increases are in the 10-15% realm, perfectly realistic.
However, it also confirms that there's no more CCX-splits within a CCD - thus we're looking at 8 cores with ~32 MB of L3 - instead of 4+4 cores with 16+16 MB of L3

Now, what if I were to tell you that I've been in info-wars long enough to know that specifically wording things such as "single-threaded IPC increase" constitutes an insinuation towards something.
And indeed, what if I were to also tell you that we have a handy-dandy comparison point coming out very recently;

What is notably present in this set of bench data, is a 3300x and a 3100 both running at 4.4 Ghz with matched settings in all other regards.
That is a 4+0 core CPU with 16+0 MB of L3 cache, versus a 2+2 core with 8+8 MB of L3 cache
Zen3 brings us a 8+0 core CPU with 32+0 MB of L3 cache, versus 4+4 cores with 16+16 MB of L3 cache that we saw with Zen2

If you wish to guesstimate the impact of this consolidation, you can take a looksie at the difference between the 3300/3100 at 4.4 Ghz - then multiply the difference by whatever 1.1x to 1.15x your optimism prefers.

Code:
Since I was bored, I decided to take a looksie at the clock-for-clock disparity between the 3100 and 3300x as I mentioned in regards to it being a hint as to Zen3's improvement in >4-core calculation activities.

Given a baseline of 1.11x ""IPC"" performance; there's an uplift of ~1.12x-1.15x in applications that don't actually give much of a **** - as they operate on a strict "each core does a small chunk of the same work" diet, without any cross-talk

In applications which do have cross-talk, it's more along the lines of 1.2-1.25x

In applications where the cache coherency is critical for all cores doing their job properly, the uplift is around 1.45x*
* (this is a rather extreme code-compilation example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2fFpzPKPg&t=23m30s thus I wouldn't read too much into it)

For repeating my little thought experiment, you gather numbers from the 3300x 4.4 Ghz and 3100 4.4 Ghz charts - calculate the difference, then apply the Zen3 vs. Zen2 IPC differential you'd like to present (I went with a rather conservative 11%)

; )

I'd rather recommend getting familiar with all that wack-*** AM4 tweaking jazz now, rather than waiting for Zen3 to pop out.
I came off an i5-4690k, and this dinky little 3600 with its release-day trash-tier silicon runs goddamn circles around that platform.

A 3600 is cheap, a 3300x is A Cheapskate Start™ - and if you're waiting for the latter, then I'd grab an x570 Tomahawk once you're done waiting for it to actually hit shelves.
Gots no trust left on adored TV , plus he kind of started tossing AMD under the bus for tossing under the bus sake, which was the weird part for me. He got all sensitive about comments and stuff I guess. For a while I got it but then started this weird contrarian videos that made no sense to me anyway.
So no clicks from me to adoredTV anymore.
More ipc is always great, hopefully no clocks regression , and even better if higher clocks of course. Gains be gains.

Code:

; )

I am lazy and will make Robert H. tell me what to do.

Become a Patron!
Back