New Specs for the Snapdragon 865

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
SnapDragon-1024x576.jpg

The Snapdragon Technology Summit is happening this week. Neowin has been covering many details of the event and among them are the specifications for the newest Snapdragon 865 5G mobile platform. Even as a desktop user I find some of these specs impressive to say the least.
  • X55 5G Modem supporting upto 7.5Gbps download speeds
  • Octa-core Kyro 585 CPU clocked up to 2.84 Ghz
  • 64 Bit Architecture
  • Adreno 650 GPU supporting OpenCL™ 2.0 FP, OpenGL® ES 3.2, Vulkan® 1.1, DX12
  • A couple of 1st’s: Able to record either 8k/30fps or 4k w/ Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HEVC
  • HD 960 fps
  • Ability to upgrade GPU drivers thru the Play Store
  • 802.11ax
  • Bluetooth 5.1
  • USB 3.1 USB-C
  • 4k 60hz or 1440p/144hz
  • Up to 10-bit color depth and a Rec2020 color gamut
  • Memory is 4x16bit LPDDR5 at 2750Mhz
Don’t know about you but even a desktop with specs like this wouldn’t be so bad so having it in the palm of your hand is pretty exciting.

We are within a decade of having your phone be your only compute device. You can already buy phones with more storage than most corporate laptops. More CPU's better Graphics drivers and arguably better displays. Make these able to have a portable dock like a laptop chassis with integrated battery and cooling, then a docking station in the office with headset support and such and why would an IT organization want to equip anyone with anything different?

Yea you have single points of failure... but other than that? If you have the performance and storage needs met. Remote security control, and the ability to have a full desktop experience then why bother with another device?

That's for corporate. Special cases like us computer gamers will still want desktops. (Or @home docking stations with dedicated drives and GPU so you can bypass the corporate control and just use the compute/memory in the phone.)

It is actually kind of scary... if we go a phone/docking station compute solution we will move away from build it your own or consumer up-gradable hardware.

It is actually kind of scary... if we go a phone/docking station compute solution we will move away from build it your own or consumer up-gradable hardware.
I could see it go either direction. I have heard of some start-ups over the last few years who tried to market consumer up-gradable phones, and I think LG or someone tinkered with it too, but they never seen to get off the ground fully. As the technology progresses that may change though.

I could see it go either direction. I have heard of some start-ups over the last few years who tried to market consumer up-gradable phones, and I think LG or someone tinkered with it too, but they never seen to get off the ground fully. As the technology progresses that may change though.

For corporate use it actually makes a lot of sense. A super powerful phone/computer combination. Your travelling users are literally never without a device. A usb 3.x or whatever we are up to then acts as the power/transport for the device in a port replicator. Connecting to a projector and or external input devices and displays is simple then.

Then you can throw out the whole BYOD movement.

Add to that foldable displays then all you really need for a road warrior is a docking foldable rigid keyboard. Then you have a nice 8 inch or so display, your computer and input all in one. More than enough to bang out emails and exchange files with the home office. You'll still want the docking station for more intense or demanding work but still. (Which can unlock greater performance with the additional power.)

Become a Patron!
Back