New York State Senators Propose Three-Year Ban on Cryptomining

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
bitcoin-trio-green-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: Roger Brown (Pexels)

A pair of New York State senators have introduced a bill that would prevent cryptocurrency mining centers from operating in the state for at least three years. The proposed legislation, which was drafted by Rachel May and Kevin Parker, aims to set a moratorium to determine just how detrimental of an effect cryptomining and its heavy energy usage might have on the environment. It isn’t clear whether “cryptomining mining centers” might also include smaller operations and/or more casual, individual miners.

Last month, we reported on the threat Bitcoin mining poses to New York's clean energy goals.https://t.co/nGTqsVTu1OToday, senators @RachelMayNY and @kevinparkernyc...

Continue reading...

That's like banning killing for 3 years. Why put an expiration date on it? Using energy to create fake money that has no service or product to justify its value won't be a better thing in 3 years or ever.

Just remember the war on drugs fellas. Same effort.

I applaud it though. Eff mining for the hardware droughts

Who TF has mining centers in NY state? Their electricity costs are ridiculous.

It's the equivalent of banning swimming pools in the middle of the desert.
You know people will do it anyway

I love this... "It's unclear if this will impact home Miners" Great.. so now they will fly around with what... drones with thermal cameras over communities looking for 'hot' houses? How do you differentiate? "You had a high power bill last month you're being investigated... IS THAT A MINING COMPUTER!" "Uhhh no... It's my personal computer that I game on." "Ahhh but it has a current generation GPU in it... you're going to jail."

I mean COME ON.

I love this... "It's unclear if this will impact home Miners" Great.. so now they will fly around with what... drones with thermal cameras over communities looking for 'hot' houses? How do you differentiate? "You had a high power bill last month you're being investigated... IS THAT A MINING COMPUTER!" "Uhhh no... It's my personal computer that I game on." "Ahhh but it has a current generation GPU in it... you're going to jail."

I mean COME ON.
That's exactly how they were catching indoor pot grows out here in CA before it (more or less) became legalized. High power bill = visit by Sherrif.

Of course, it didn't take long for that catch on, and then there was the run on gas powered generators.

I say do it. Make it national law, Mr Joe. Screw the miners, think of all the electricity saved... and people might actually be able to buy a GPU, shocking concept.

I say do it. Make it national law, Mr Joe. Screw the miners, think of all the electricity saved... and people might actually be able to buy a GPU, shocking concept.

And then they'll ban gaming because violence. Then they'll ban high powered home PCs because climate. Then they'll ban....

You see where this is going?

And then they'll ban gaming because violence. Then they'll ban high powered home PCs because climate. Then they'll ban....

Man that's the same reach the nra uses around gun security checks. "Man if they make you get checked before you buy a gun what next? Check you before you can drive a car or vote?"

Man that's the same reach the nra uses around gun security checks. "Man if they make you get checked before you buy a gun what next? Check you before you can drive a car or vote?"
Too true but given the oft ill-informed mass media, and immense popularity of mobile gaming, and the ongoing need to point fingers, I could see such an agenda happen to state that gamers don't need such hardware.

Too true but given the oft ill-informed mass media, and immense popularity of mobile gaming, and the ongoing need to point fingers, I could see such an agenda happen to state that gamers don't need such hardware.

That would be very Shadowrun esq. In the world of Shadowrun high end computers (decks) are restricted for the non licensed to own.

If it's not specifically outlined in our laws as a protected item you can bet your azz they've thought about restricting ownership of it.

Oh don't think they are doing this because of noble causes. This is because mining makes money which the NY state gov receives zero percent of. They do not give a crap about gamers or the environment.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't see some more of these types of ban proposals popping up, quickly to be followed up with a tax proposal.

And ban gaming bc violence? LOL this isn't Australia. Besides doesn't the NRA get a kickback from every COD game sold?

While I am happy to hear any counter-crypto news, I'm not sure this will do much. Ban it in new York state? People will just do it in another state. Ban it in the U.S? People will just do it in another country.

While I am happy to hear any counter-crypto news, I'm not sure this will do much. Ban it in new York state? People will just do it in another state. Ban it in the U.S? People will just do it in another country.

To be fair this is more to stop casuals from doing this than businesses based around crypto mining.

To be fair this is more to stop casuals from doing this than businesses based around crypto mining.
I don't know that any business that intended to do business long would set up a mining shop in NY State - they have some of the most expensive power, high taxes, and it's not exactly a renewables hotbed. The law is just horse & pony, with no real method of enforcement. You wouldn't really be able to find a casual mining -- at least until they filed it on their state income taxes ...

I don't know that any business that intended to do business long would set up a mining shop in NY State - they have some of the most expensive power, high taxes, and it's not exactly a renewables hotbed. The law is just horse & pony, with no real method of enforcement. You wouldn't really be able to find a casual mining -- at least until they filed it on their state income taxes ...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I vaguely remember NY State having pretty high power costs, but I wasn't sure.

Become a Patron!
Back