Next DOOM Game May Be Announced at Xbox Games Showcase, ZeniMax Filing Suggests

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DOOM, id Software and ZeniMax Media's legendary and genre-defining first-person shooter franchise, may be expanding with a new installment that will be announced during the upcoming Xbox Games Showcase, which is set for Sunday, June 9, according to a new trademark filing from ZeniMax that references "IDKFA," a DOOM cheat code that grants players full megaarmor protection (200%), all weapons, full ammo, as well as all keys.

See full article...

I enjoyed Doom 2016, but if the next one is like Doom Eternal, I'll pass. I expected a shooter, not an FPS platformer.

**** that game.

Yea wolfenstine is supposed to be the platformer not Doom... well ok Doom has always had some platforming.. wait it's ALWAYS been a platformer shooter, Mario in 3d with demons and shotguns.

When was it not? Quake Maybe was pure FPS?

Yea wolfenstine is supposed to be the platformer not Doom... well ok Doom has always had some platforming.. wait it's ALWAYS been a platformer shooter, Mario in 3d with demons and shotguns.

When was it not? Quake Maybe was pure FPS?
I have no idea where you are getting that from. You couldn't even jump at all in Doom 1 & 2. Doom 3 wasn't a platformer either. Doom 2016 would be more similar to Doom Eternal than any of the other games but I'd hardly call it Mario with demons and shotguns.

I enjoyed Doom 2016, but if the next one is like Doom Eternal, I'll pass. I expected a shooter, not an FPS platformer.

**** that game.
I played both games but have never really understood comments like these about Doom Eternal.
It seemed to me that Doom Eternal simply expanded on everything that Doom 2016 was about. It was meant to be played even faster with more enemies than 2016 had... and while there were some platforming elements in parts of levels, IIRC they were relatively minor and were simply a way to add some more interesting pacing in the game while you weren't fighting a thousand enemies. Is the fact that you had to make some jumps a few times in the game enough to really say **** that game?!

Doom has always had puzzles to get through doors to unlock to progress typical platformer stuff but in a 3d environment with guns.

Doom has always had puzzles to get through doors to unlock to progress typical platformer stuff but in a 3d environment with guns.
That's not really the same thing. Puzzles sure, but it didn't feature jumping puzzles like Destiny 2 does. A little of that sort of thing in a previous game wouldn't even constitute them being platformers either. However, Doom Eternal overuses the platforming element enough to detract from the gameplay. It occurs so often that you realize its not a shooter. Plus, the ammunition economy is crap in it for most guns. Way worse than a Doom style shooter should be.

I understand gameplay evolves, but I feel like Doom Eternal evolved too far from the roots of the franchise. I do not care for the gameplay the franchise offers at this point. I'm not hopeful that the next game will be a return to form or that it will do something inventive while keeping the core of what made earlier installments great.

**** that game.
And that was not the only thing wrong with it. In fact, that was the least of my concerns with the game. Doom 2016 was fantastic but Doom Eternal was a disappointment. So I'm torn on them making another game. It could go either way for me at this point. But one thing that did NOT disappoint me was the awesome idTech 7 engine, and I can't wait to see where they go next.

But one thing that did NOT disappoint me was the awesome idTech 7 engine, and I can't wait to see where they go next.
We know it won't be going across the hall to Bethesda.

Become a Patron!
Back