Nintendo President Says New Hardware Isn’t Due for at Least a Year despite Slowing Switch Sales

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Nintendo Switch 2, or whatever Nintendo is planning to name its next-generation (or updated) console, is unlikely to surface until April 2024 at the very earliest, according to Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa, who told investors in an earnings call today that no new or upgraded hardware is included in Nintendo's annual forecast. Furukawa's remarks seem to confirm that a successor to the Switch won't be revealed for at least another year, and while it's unclear whether Nintendo plans to share details for new hardware during that 12-month time frame, financial results that were released today would suggest that the company may want to speed things up, with Nintendo Switch sales and profits expected to decline for the fiscal year ending March 2024. Nintendo's latest Switch model, the Nintendo Switch – OLED Model - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Edition, is now available for $359.99.

See full article...

Well, hopefully they wont go the all cloud route. They have me worried a bit on that.
I think this hemming and hawing on hardware is indicative that they might be. It does have a certain advantage in marketing as you could say look! 4k game stream no hardware change needed!. Alternatively, needed hardware call it switch stream, will be fairly simplified in many aspects with more investment on the screen perhaps, and less well everywhere else reallly, could be cheaper too if they wanted to.
At this moment I think it would be a mistake to go all cloud. But Nintendo does take risks when they think its necessary, and I think this may be one of those times they might take risks, they can't compete vs ps5 and xbox, portability is where is at for them, and you can't pack so much more graphics in handheld even all these years later with off the shelf stuff.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully they wont go the all cloud route. They have me worried a bit on that.
I think this hemming and hawing on hardware is indicative that they might be. It does have a certain advantage in marketing as you could say look! 4k game stream no hardware change needed!. Alternatively, needed hardware call it switch stream, will be fairly simplified in many aspects with more investment on the screen perhaps, and less well everywhere else reallly, could be cheaper too if they wanted to.
At this moment I think it would be a mistake to go all cloud. But Nintendo does take risks when they think its necessary, and I think this may be one of those times they might take risks, they can't compete vs ps5 and xbox, portability is where is at for them, and you can't pack so much more graphics in handheld even all these years later with off the shelf stuff.

Surely Nintendo is intelligent enough to realize that people on subways and transport like airplanes wants to bring their device with them as a distraction... right?

Don't know how or if they can solve the streaming and connection issue, i don't know if that may be less of an issue in Japan. But they do have a number of these things ( cloud games) festering around, stuff that the switch can't handle graphically allegedly.
With everyone looking into streaming with puppy dog eyes, i suspect they( but hope not ) will be looking at a minimum to expand on it very significantly.

Don't know how or if they can solve the streaming and connection issue, i don't know if that may be less of an issue in Japan. But they do have a number of these things ( cloud games) festering around, stuff that the switch can't handle graphically allegedly.
With everyone looking into streaming with puppy dog eyes, i suspect they( but hope not ) will be looking at a minimum to expand on it very significantly.

Well this is actually Easily solved. Have games that come with a local non 2k+ texture pack that your hand held CAN play and a higher res texture pack for streaming when that's available. I mean it can't be that hard to make lower res versions of textures for local play as the primary culprit to GPU performance is moving the actual texture data around... at lest as I understand it.

Become a Patron!
Back