Nobody Is Buying AMD Ryzen 9000 Series “Zen 5” CPUs, It’s Claimed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Ryzen 9000 Series, a new family of desktop processors that AMD launched last month to deliver greater performance to gamers, content creators, and prosumers via its new "Zen 5" architecture, has turned out to be a major flop for red team, according to some of the latest thoughts shared by hardware reviewers.

See full article...

Amazon has been flash sale-ing 7000 series CPUs for a few weeks now. The 7950x drops as low as $401 for a few hours at a time, the 7700x down to $210, 7950x3d to $450.

Maybe demand will pick up a little once the new motherboards arrive?
That's not going to change performance in a material manner. When 7000 series sells though, 9000 will stop in price some and sales will pick up. Windows 11 24H2 will also help with making a performance difference but it's not out yet.

My prediction on the new boards is they will likely be panned for being too expensive due to the Thunderbolt 4 additional costs...

My prediction on the new boards is they will likely be panned for being too expensive due to the Thunderbolt 4 additional costs...
Do we know if the bulk of these are still using the Intel chipset, or if the new Realtek chipset is seeing wider adoption?

I want a new chipset with all the features I can reasonably afford. So I'm willing to wait. Plus I kind of want the 9950x3d.

Really no reason to jump on these unless you're going with a brand new build, and if it's a gaming build the 7800X3D would still be the better choice. A lot of people are waiting for those new X3D chips to drop I'm sure.

The worst thing about the 9000 series is the 7000x3d series.
For my use case especially if they fix the issue with ccd assignment and such... the 9950x3d gives me the best of both worlds I want. I've enjoyed my 5900x don't get me wrong. Just want more oomph.

For my use case especially if they fix the issue with ccd assignment and such... the 9950x3d gives me the best of both worlds I want. I've enjoyed my 5900x don't get me wrong. Just want more oomph.
Same here. The 5950 normally just crunches distributed computing, but I game on it every now and then. A 9950x3d really would be the best of both worlds and a decent upgrade to boot.

Has the 9950x3d been announced yet? I've just read about the 9950.

I've been very happy with my 7950x3d and a friend has the 7950 non x3d who has been happy with his system too. Not that I push my system much, I dont. 4k Gaming is it for working hard.

I think the problem right now is that the 5800X3D, and some other 5000 series SKUs, got the ball rolling with an AM4 revival among those on a tight budget. Next up came the 7000 series, and its X3D SKUs which also had good success with both new customers and those upgrading from much older AM4 builds. Between the two the market for those who'll buy AMD products was pretty much saturated. Nothing really wrong with the current 9000 series but for any of the above there's literally no reason to upgrade and the demand just isn't there yet. Factor in the sales that @David_Schroth mentioned and we're seeing the usual attempt to empty out older inventory which again lessens the incentive to buy the new 9000 series, for now.

Nope, no news on the 9000 series X3D, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing things before the holidays. A lot can happen at CES 2025 as well.

I think the problem right now is that the 5800X3D, and some other 5000 series SKUs, got the ball rolling with an AM4 revival among those on a tight budget. Next up came the 7000 series, and its X3D SKUs which also had good success with both new customers and those upgrading from much older AM4 builds. Between the two the market for those who'll buy AMD products was pretty much saturated. Nothing really wrong with the current 9000 series but for any of the above there's literally no reason to upgrade and the demand just isn't there yet. Factor in the sales that @David_Schroth mentioned and we're seeing the usual attempt to empty out older inventory which again lessens the incentive to buy the new 9000 series, for now.

Nope, no news on the 9000 series X3D, yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing things before the holidays. A lot can happen at CES 2025 as well.
The 5000x3d series on AM4 is actually pretty solid price to perf wise. The 5700x3d is $200 and you can drop it in many old AM4 motherboards. Sold a buddy my old 2700X + x470MB + 32GB ram for a song, and he flashed the bios and dropped in a 5700x3d. a 4tb Samsung 990pro. and a 4060. Hard to beat that setup for the price.

Is this surprising? You can find smokin deals on 5000X3D's and 7000X3D's which are beating the 9000 series in gaming.

It's a "wait and see" thing on the 9000X3D's. But for what they are asking for 9000 series CPU's now, and how expensive the new chipset mobo's are, it doesn't make sense.

Cheapest I've seen it is $299
$280 at Micro Center when last I checked, and I think it got cheaper than that last Black Friday / Cyber Monday, but yeah I agree, it's price is too high for how old it is at this point, if you ask me. I'm waiting to see what prices it might get this coming Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

It's not bad if your other option is changing out the whole platform, given the minimum level of performance implied (which is what I like about the X3D parts).

Become a Patron!
Back