NVIDIA and MediaTek Exploring ARM-Based Gaming Laptops with GeForce RTX Graphics

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-laptop-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA and chip giant MediaTek are working together on bringing ARM-based gaming laptops with GeForce RTX graphics technology to the market. This is according to MediaTek CEO Rick Tsai, who released a statement confirming that the companies had partnered to enable the power of green team’s RTX GPUs on future ARM laptops via a new reference platform supporting Chromium, Linux, and NVIDIA SDKs (software development kits). NVIDIA’s interest in making ARM-based GeForce RTX laptops a reality isn’t too surprising based on its intent to acquire Arm Ltd.; the company even showed off a new ARM-based chip named Grace during this week’s ongoing GTC 2021 event.

NVIDIA and MediaTek want to bring RTX graphics to ARM laptops...

Continue reading...

It won't be steam machines... I don't think because Nvidia want's to compete to some degree with them. The issue I have is they are not set to support Windows OS's. So if I buy one of these laptops I'll have to navigate non standard software for everything I use Office for and so on. Unless office 365 is supported on these OS's.

Another issue is I don't want to play the driver dance to get everything working. If they are going to make an ARM based gaming laptop it needs to work, and be better than Intel and AMD based Laptops for gaming hands down. Not marginal.

Yes this is the first generation and I know it won't be all there yet. But if you want people to really switch and spend on this kind of device it can't be ONLY a toy for gaming. It needs to have productivity use and value for a better ROI.

Otherwise why not make a portable console with Nvidia Graphics in it? Because that's all this would be but with more keys.

Well if it is ARM kiss off native Win64 gaming. Will have to be emulated and that might kick game performance in the balls. I doubt Nvidia is planning on selling too many of these, probably more like a proof of concept design.

MS does (or did) make a Win 10 Arm edition but I have no idea how app compatible it is

edit - then I found this : https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...10-on-arm-pcs-to-the-windows-insider-program/

Yes this is the first generation and I know it won't be all there yet. But if you want people to really switch and spend on this kind of device it can't be ONLY a toy for gaming. It needs to have productivity use and value for a better ROI.
Pretty difficult to make something that can game well and have a hardware deficiency for spreadsheets and email, right?

I'm sure someone is going to come out with an edge case to prove me wrong, but seriously, it's not like Google apps don't already run on potatoes.

It won't be steam machines... I don't think because Nvidia want's to compete to some degree with them. The issue I have is they are not set to support Windows OS's. So if I buy one of these laptops I'll have to navigate non standard software for everything I use Office for and so on. Unless office 365 is supported on these OS's.

Another issue is I don't want to play the driver dance to get everything working. If they are going to make an ARM based gaming laptop it needs to work, and be better than Intel and AMD based Laptops for gaming hands down. Not marginal.

Otherwise why not make a portable console with Nvidia Graphics in it? Because that's all this would be but with more keys.
Actually that could potentiallly mean bringing the Steam Machine back from the dead. Proton already deals with the windows to linux part, so its only a matter of nvidia mimic apple and bring competitive x86 to ARM emulation.

Nvidia already has great linux and ARM drivers, so no issue there either.

I don’t think Valve and nVidia are competing, per say.

Doesn’t GeForce Now already verify ownership via Steam?

I don’t think Valve and nVidia are competing, per say.

Doesn’t GeForce Now already verify ownership via Steam?

Good point. I don't know why my head thought Nvidia was competing with steam. I've gotta say huh to that one. It feels like they should be for some reason.

Are there actually any titles that will run on ARM?

I mean, other than casual Android nonsense like Temple Run, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds and the like?

I'd imagine they'd have a little bit of a catch 22. No one is going to want to port their titles to ARM unless there is actual hardware owned by potential buyers to run them on, and no one is going to want to buy the hardware if there isn't title support...

It's not as if running games in some sort of x86 emulator is likely to result in a thrilling experience.

Newp. Just that mobile junk.

It will need either a mass exodus over, or a bridge tech - like Apple's Rosetta. Yeah, emulation sucks, but it sucks less than not being able to run at all, and Rosetta is more than just an emulation layer - it's also a way for developers to bundle dual-architecture binaries in a single package. Most games aren't exactly CPU limited, if you can get native metal access to the GPU, most games would still run fairly well.

I mean, other than casual Android nonsense like Temple Run, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds and the like?

I'd imagine they'd have a little bit of a catch 22. No one is going to want to port their titles to ARM unless there is actual hardware owned by potential buyers to run them on, and no one is going to want to buy the hardware if there isn't title support...

It's not as if running games in some sort of x86 emulator is likely to result in a thrilling experience.
BTW this is not the first time nvidia tried gaming on ARM.

Back when nvidia intruduced the shield portable and then the shield tv console they were pushig ARM as a gaming device, there were some Shield exclusives like doom3 RoE, Portal, Metal Gear 2, Jedi Knight and a few others. They all ran pretty good on the shield TV, easily rivaling the Xbox 360/PS3. Very impressive at the time. You may remember a few years after that nvidia demoed ARM "PCs" running Window ARM. but I don't remenber any games on that. Anyway nvidia abandoned that project soon after.

Nowadays the most demanding games are PUGB, fortnite and the like.

Become a Patron!
Back