NVIDIA and Mojang Bring Real-Time DXR Ray Tracing to Minecraft

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The world's best-selling, open-world sandbox game isn't known for having impressive graphics, but that could be changing. NVIDIA and Mojang have announced that real-time DXR ray tracing is coming to the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft.

The RTX version has been re-engineered with path tracing, bringing lifelike lighting, reflections, and shadows throughout the game. Glowstone, Lava, and other emissive blocks will illuminate their surroundings, while water, glass, and other reflective surfaces will show real-time reflections.

“Ray tracing sits at the center of what we think is next for Minecraft,” said Saxs Persson, Franchise Creative Director of Minecraft at Microsoft. “RTX gives the Minecraft world a brand-new feel to it. In normal Minecraft, a block of gold just appears yellow, but with ray tracing turned on, you really get to see the specular highlight, you get to see the reflection, you can even see a mob reflected in it.”

Wonder if they'll bundle Minecraft with the purchase of a RTX 2080 ti Super.

So what.. Now we can render mine craft at 4k and 30fps with rtx? Heh.. I don't understand why you want realistic light in a game. Like. Mine raft where nothing else is realistic.

Now I can finally justify dropping 1k to see virtual gold instead of yellow blocks. /s

Sort of cool. There were some pretty nice screen shots on their site that look impressive but gotta wonder what'll be next? Minesweeper 2019 edition with RTX? How about Candy Crush?

Wow gotta admit some of that does look amazing. Kinda weird to see it wasted on a game with Colecovision graphics tho. I know the square graphics have always been part of Minecraft's charm but still think it's kinda weird seeing a premium graphics tech like RTX on it.

Become a Patron!
Back