NVIDIA Answers Your Most Burning GeForce RTX 30 Series Questions

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-logo-black-1024x577.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA has rounded up the best questions (or, at least, the ones it felt like answering) from its recent community Q&A on reddit. We’ve copied the ones related to the GeForce RTX 30 Series and PCIe 4.0 below, but you can click here for the original article, which includes additional insight on NVIDIA RTX IO (the company’s new, speedy decompression process), the NVIDIA Broadcast app, NVIDIA Omniverse Machinima, NVIDIA Studio, and NVIDIA Reflex.

GeForce RTX 30-Series

Q: Why only 10 GB of memory for RTX 3080? How was that determined to be a sufficient number, when it is stagnant from the previous generation?

We’re constantly analyzing memory requirements of the latest games and...

Continue reading...

They actually gave good answers to some of the questions, though marketing speak appeared to step in when they couldn't talk about the details.

They really did a good job with that.

Those were not bad at all. More straight up honesty from Nvidia will lead to the market wanting their product more and not waiting to see what AMD's answer is. Exciting times.. If AMD can be competitive in the GPU AND CPU markets... wow..

AMD really has their work cut out for them. I don't have high hopes that they'll compete with anything but the 3070. Seems to me that competing with the 3080 or 3090 is unlikely.

That was an unusually good QA, I was happy with most answers.

AMD really has their work cut out for them. I don't have high hopes that they'll compete with anything but the 3070. Seems to me that competing with the 3080 or 3090 is unlikely.
I too dont think AMD will have an answer to what NVidia created and also dont think they can compete with the 3080.
I wish they could but even so I wouldnt use one of their cards until I see reports driver issues are not presenting a mountain of problems any more.
I fell foul of this on my last 2 AMD/ATI GPU purchases and wont go there again until it makes sense.
But I am always optimistic for positive change.

I wish they could but even so I wouldnt use one of their cards until I see reports driver issues are not presenting a mountain of problems any more.
I fell foul of this on my last 2 AMD/ATI GPU purchases and wont go there again until it makes sense.

I mentioned drivers in a different post and was told those issues are long gone. Drivers are awesome now, and apparently Nvidia drivers are terrible and blow stuff up all the time (so I was told, I haven't noticed this personally :) )

I mentioned drivers in a different post and was told those issues are long gone. Drivers are awesome now, and apparently Nvidia drivers are terrible and blow stuff up all the time (so I was told, I haven't noticed this personally :) )
lol.

That was an unusually good QA, I was happy with most answers.

I too dont think AMD will have an answer to what NVidia created and also dont think they can compete with the 3080.
ATI? When was that, last millennium?
I don't know what's the driver situation as I haven't had an AMD GPU since 2015. But I didn't have any problems with drivers then.

ATI? When was that, last millennium?
I don't know what's the driver situation as I haven't had an AMD GPU since 2015. But I didn't have any problems with drivers then.
That card was a 5770 (and is still functioning in my AMD 3600 rig but not for gaming) , it was ATI wasnt it ??

That card was a 5770 (and is still functioning in my AMD 3600 rig but not for gaming) , it was ATI wasnt it ??
Didn't AMD buy Ati in 2006? I seem to remember that the x800 series was the last line under Ati, but I might be wrong. I had an 5770 and it was a crap card, swapped it to an 5850 which was great on the other hand.

Good read, the pcie gen 4 question was something I was wondering about. It would be great if AMD could land a card at least between the 3080 and 3090. However, we'll probably get a liquid cooled, pre overclocked card at its redline landing between the 3070 and 3080, or within a few percentage points of the 3080... I hope I am wrong.

I certainly agree. Nvidia has come up with what looks like a strong lineup.
I also think there's a 3080 Ti waiting in the wings.
I don't think AMD has a prayer, maybe, just maybe they can come up with a GPU that will be near the 2080 Ti?? But I don't think they have a chance at the big prizes.

Become a Patron!
Back