NVIDIA CEO: PS5, Xbox Scarlett Had to Adopt Ray Tracing Due to RTX's Success

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft and Sony's next-generation consoles will support ray tracing, and there's only one company you can thank for that: NVIDIA. That's according to CEO Jen-Hsung Huang, who called RTX a "home run" during yesterday's Q3 2020 earnings conference call. Huang claims that his company's push for ray tracing has been so successful that console makers were forced to "stutter step" and include the technology in their next systems.

Overall, for PC gaming -- and RTX is doing fantastic. Let me tell you why it's so important. I would say that at this point, I think it's fairly clear that ray tracing is the future and that RTX is a home run. Just about every major game developer has signed on to ray tracing. Even the next-generation consoles had to stutter step and include ray tracing in their next-generation consoles.

Hmm...

Good PR move on the part pf JHH, although CryEngine shows it's not necessarily the case. Consoles "stutter stepping" to include raytracing doesn't exactly equate to selling more nVidia parts, since those are AMD-derived, and his competition drawing closer to their own product offerings is a detriment to his own product line.

I think he's saying more that Ray Tracing is now an expected feature and necessary bullet point for competitive hardware because of the RTX cards. I can't really disagree with him.

Uh huh, they just rushed it out last minute... Uh huh, that happens. / S

Matters little, its all going to about how much of a performance hit AMDs stuff suffers.

The next gen consoles were in development with AMD mind you well before rtx existed. MSFT was planning dxr the whole time. This isn't Nvidia specific but the industry moving forward and nvidias rushed implementation isn't helping games.

Ray tracing is indeed the future. Thank you NVidia, for pushing the technology. But I'm still not buying an RTX card anytime soon.

Huang is simply justifying his laser focus on RTX/ray tracing during the launch last year to the shareholders. "See? I done good!"

I bought my RTX because I wanted the biggest hammer I could afford for gaming. Raytracing was the added bonus, albeit that I just paid for a Titan when I planned for a TI. Funny how 2 years can cause a price paradigm shift ;)

All that being said I've been pretty impressed with what ray tracing can offer but it heavily depends on the implications. Loved it in Metro and SOTTR. Could care less about BFV but read good things about Control. Thought it could've rocked in Resident Evil 2 remastered. Presently it's a tool and should only be used for the right job. I think that games that are primarily fast paced should avoid it while others that have regular moments where the player will spend time just taking in the environments will gain from it.

One thing's for sure, it doesn't seem like a fad to be gone overnight.

Become a Patron!
Back