NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series to Get Performance Uplift via Feature Likened to AMD’s Smart Access Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-badge-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

AMD’s new Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards will see improved performance courtesy of a feature called “Smart Access Memory,” which grants Zen 3 processors full access to GPU memory. It turns out that the competition is getting something similar.

Gamers Nexus has revealed that NVIDIA is working on its own variation of AMD’s Smart Access Memory, which will improve the performance of its GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs. The difference is that green team’s implementation will work not only with AMD processors, but Intel chips as well.

“[…] basically, they’re working on enabling the same feature as AMD Smart Access Memory (AMD GPU+CPU=Perf uplift) on both Intel and...

Continue reading...

So why is this a technology limited to the 5000 series of CPU's from AMD if it's something they can code in or even Nvidia can code into other CPU's without 'proprietary' hardware.

Because this is just more chaff from the Green Rumor Mill.

So why is this a technology limited to the 5000 series of CPU's from AMD if it's something they can code in or even Nvidia can code into other CPU's without 'proprietary' hardware.

If I had to guess it's a reverse engineered software implementation of something that AMD is doing via hardware. And if I had to guess again it's that Nvidia's version won't have near the same performance gains.

Because this is just more chaff from the Green Rumor Mill.
That may be all that's needed given the nature of the 'technology'.

CPUs using GPU memory across PCIe results in a performance uplift? Does anyone else not realize how that doesn't really make sense on its face?

CPUs using GPU memory across PCIe results in a performance uplift? Does anyone else not realize how that doesn't really make sense on its face?

Intel said the same thing about chiplet CPU's. They're eating crow now.

Well yes, less steps and all. If the bottleneck is really the GPU to CPU pcie connection, well this remains true either way, hence if you eliminate extra steps outside of the bottleneck, you are still faster.

If I had to guess it's a reverse engineered software implementation of something that AMD is doing via hardware. And if I had to guess again it's that Nvidia's version won't have near the same performance gains.
I'm gonna guess Nvidia does software really well.

Intel said the same thing about chiplet CPU's. They're eating crow now.
Intel is eating the hubris that they've fed to themselves.
AMD has had five years and are on their fourth architecture and third spin on TSMC 7nm and finally they can claim to be faster than Intel's six year old tech. Most of the time.
It isn't impressive that AMD has stopped shooting themselves in the foot for a bit. We should just be clear that their newfound luster isn't likely to stick once Intel gets back to being Intel.

Intel is eating the hubris that they've fed to themselves.
AMD has had five years and are on their fourth architecture and third spin on TSMC 7nm and finally they can claim to be faster than Intel's six year old tech. Most of the time.
It isn't impressive that AMD has stopped shooting themselves in the foot for a bit. We should just be clear that their newfound luster isn't likely to stick once Intel gets back to being Intel.

Time will certainly tell. AMD is kicking butt right now, and the 3000 series CPU's kicked butt as well. Intel has a lot of catching up to do. They'll need a serious generational change like they had from P4 to Core2. Anything less and they'll be stuck playing catchup as long as AMD keeps pace with their improvements.

Time will certainly tell. AMD is kicking butt right now, and the 3000 series CPU's kicked butt as well. Intel has a lot of catching up to do. They'll need a serious generational change like they had from P4 to Core2. Anything less and they'll be stuck playing catchup as long as AMD keeps pace with their improvements.
I'm not saying that AMD isn't; but rather that their competition (Intel) is almost certain to make that generational change, and that the performance AMD is being compared to is that of Skylake, which launched in 2015. And AMD is just edging that ancient core out in single-core performance now at the end of 2020!

You'll find that I've been recommending AMD first for CPUs for years. I'd buy them today if I were buying. What I'm talking about above is the near future.

Note that the only reason that AMDs chiplets are competitive in the first place is because they have TSMCs fabs to build them (the CPU cores), and they have Intel being forced to rely on their mature 14nm process and relatively archaic architectures as competition. Both of those factors are outliers; Intel typically doesn't take this long to get a new process online, and TSMC is usually pretty late to the game.

Obviously this could be the new normal, I admit. Though I'd prefer to have TSMC stay in the game and Intel get their collective schiite together personally.

On the same token we are on the 4th desktop cpu release on a further refined cpu design and intel hasn't managed to refresh a design from 2015 with now qualifies as a meaningful step. And it isn't like amd has been slow on the uptake either.

I'm not saying that AMD isn't; but rather that their competition (Intel) is almost certain to make that generational change, and that the performance AMD is being compared to is that of Skylake, which launched in 2015. And AMD is just edging that ancient core out in single-core performance now at the end of 2020!

You'll find that I've been recommending AMD first for CPUs for years. I'd buy them today if I were buying. What I'm talking about above is the near future.

Note that the only reason that AMDs chiplets are competitive in the first place is because they have TSMCs fabs to build them (the CPU cores), and they have Intel being forced to rely on their mature 14nm process and relatively archaic architectures as competition. Both of those factors are outliers; Intel typically doesn't take this long to get a new process online, and TSMC is usually pretty late to the game.

Obviously this could be the new normal, I admit. Though I'd prefer to have TSMC stay in the game and Intel get their collective schiite together personally.
That (and previous) is a mix there an analyst would say if trying to sell you Intel stock.
Hey if I didn't buy a very few Intel stocks at 52 weeks low and brought much higher i'd say the same thing.
You are conveniently forgetting the original Ryzen was on not so great process, and it kept up enough.. of course what it did do was massively undercut orice per core, and give you moar cores for less money.... Just that it was moar useful cores this time.
The problem Nvidia and Intel have, its not any one product AMD has.. its the company they have become under Lisa Su (and hopefully more people like her are around) relentless and optimistic.
Like when a star is born, AMD is truly on the verge of becoming a mayor player... not that it hasn't been a long long journey for them.

Last edited:
Even first gen Ryzen pummeled Intel in multithreaded workloads. It just didn't compete with gaming. Its why I built a 1800X system for the wife to do CAD work. Unless you were buying Xeon for significantly more money it made no sense to go Intel.

That (and previous) is a mix there an analyst would say if trying to sell you Intel stock.
Hey if I didn't buy a very few Intel stocks at 52 weeks low and brought much higher i'd say the same thing.
I don't trade stock, so I can't say how one might sell it. I have, however, been watching these companies for thirty years as a tech enthusiast.

Intel has done all kinds of stuff that reeks of bureaucratic, decision by committee syndrome. Lying to themselves about their recent process woes is one of them. So I can't say that they will pull out, just that historically, they do, and they come back with a vengeance.
You are conveniently forgetting the original Ryzen was on not so great process, and it kept up enough.. of course what it did do was massively undercut orice per core, and give you moar cores for less money.... Just that it was moar useful cores this time.
I'm not forgetting anything, not the least including the crapshow that their first three Ryzen releases were, with only the third one really stabilizing, and only the fourth one showing nearly across-the-board minor gains for most consumer applications. Granted when the ecosystem around the third gen stabilized, I haven't really recommended anything else, but we're still not at a point where Ryzen is a good upgrade for a top-end Intel system built in the last three or four years (or whenever the 8700K came out). Not for gaming or most consumer stuff; Ryzen only starts to make sense as an upgrade when you move into prosumer or commercial work where time and money are tightly interrelated.

The problem Nvidia and Intel have, its not any one product AMD has.. its the company they have become under Lisa Su (and hopefully more people like her are around) relentless and optimistic.
Like when a star is born, AMD is truly on the verge of becoming a mayor player... not that it hasn't been a long long journey for them.
This is really overstated. If you look at AMD holistically, you see that their platforms are regularly immature, their partner support is barely there, see the awful AMD motherboards, GPU implementations, and application support for their hardware, and their drivers take half the product's release cycle to sort out.

Compare that to Intel whose platforms are the standard for a reason, not just on the consumer side but the commercial side; not just the Windows side, but the FOSS side as well. Intel is one of the largest contributors to the Linux kernel. You can count on Intel support in Linux when their hardware releases, because major distributions are already shipping with kernels that have support!

Then compare to Nvidia, who is also the standard; they're better, yes, but since AMD is near-perpetually two years behind in the GPU arena, Nvidia is the only option available. And even as Nvidia is downright reviled by FOSS'ers, including Linus Torvalds himself, they at least have up to date, stable Linux drivers!

So I'll end on a happier note, because my frustrations aren't some attempt to tarnish AMD; they're real, and they're personal. I've used AMD regularly over the decades and I've discarded them alongside Intel and Nvidia (and countless others) when they've fallen short.

AMD's current direction, dedication, budding partner support, and premier access to a leading fab are all very good signs. Just understand that they're only starting down that road and objectively, they have quite a long way to go.

Even first gen Ryzen pummeled Intel in multithreaded workloads. It just didn't compete with gaming. Its why I built a 1800X system for the wife to do CAD work. Unless you were buying Xeon for significantly more money it made no sense to go Intel.
The first gen was pretty wild; I had a number of friends that played that memory + motherboard + BIOS lottery. For some it just worked, for others it never did.

But the promise was definitely there, and for some usecases it was worth taking a chance on!

This is really overstated. If you look at AMD holistically, you see that their platforms are regularly immature, their partner support is barely there, see the awful AMD motherboards, GPU implementations, and application support for their hardware, and their drivers take half the product's release cycle to sort out.
I think you may be surprised to find this part has drastically changed for the better in recent years/months.

I think you may be surprised to find this part has drastically changed for the better in recent years/months.
...right up until the next release.

An issue-free AMD release is a historical exception. I'd love for them to do better, and I'll give them props when they do.

Don't know what issues you're talking about. My Ryzen 1800 and 3700 system ran fine from the first boot. I never had issues in the socket 939 days either.

Become a Patron!
Back