NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series to Get Performance Uplift via Feature Likened to AMD’s Smart Access Memory

I gotta chime in here... my 3900x build was as smooth as butter. You're not migrating OS disk from Intel builds to AMD builds are you? ;) I doubt that just putting it out there.

Yeah I have no complaints with my old reliable 2700 either

Edit: Actually I never had any CPU issues period, Intel or AMD /shrug

Don't know what issues you're talking about. My Ryzen 1800 and 3700 system ran fine from the first boot. I never had issues in the socket 939 days either.
Some got lucky, some didn't. Some had the gall to try Linux. Like that would ever work!

(AMD did replace the CPUs...)
I gotta chime in here... my 3900x build was as smooth as butter. You're not migrating OS disk from Intel builds to AMD builds are you? ;) I doubt that just putting it out there.
I would hope; AMD had most of the kinks worked out by then, and had better coordination with their partners, and memory manufacturers had a better handle on what works, and what doesn't.

I've actually done platform migrations too- not recommended, not because it can't or doesn't work, but that performance- and stability-sapping cruft may be left behind. Better not leave it to chance and wind up having to do all the work again later.
Yeah I have no complaints with my old reliable 2700 either

Edit: Actually I never had any CPU issues period, Intel or AMD /shrug
I haven't had any that weren't self-inflicted, but CPUs don't run by themselves; I wound up running Pentium 4's for a time because I was tired of VIA chipset stability.

AMDs biggest issue on the CPU side this time around was partner implementations. Driver issues were minimal and the hardware itself is solid, they just had companies building shoddy motherboards and had to surmount the issues involved in breaking in a new memory controller.

I was already recommending the 2000-series once they got X470 stable and pre-tuned memory kits started hitting the market. That release hit a bit too late for me personally, but that's what I would have bought had I been in the market. At this point I can't really fathom buying an Intel product if given the choice; my new XPS 15 has one simply because that's what they come with. I'd have happily taken a 4900H instead.

Well, sort of. AMD still needs to get Thunderbolt support sorted out to shipping products ;).

Some got lucky, some didn't. Some had the gall to try Linux. Like that would ever work!

I haven't had any issues with Fedora on a 2600... installed just fine when I built the rig a year or so ago and running ever since...

I'm sure there are distros and builds with compatibility issues, but doesn't really seem to be an AMD issue so much as just part of the open source experience -- not everything gets updated as fast as you'd like unless your willing to do it yourself.

The biggest issue was with RAM. I say was since most of those issues were resolved in 2000 series. Heck, the RAM in my 3700X rig is not on Gigabyte's QVL. Yet, I was still able to overclock it to 3733 with lower timings.

I haven't had any issues with Fedora on a 2600... installed just fine when I built the rig a year or so ago and running ever since...
That was a release issue with the 1000-series I believe, but it was a bit of a wild oversight.
I'm sure there are distros and builds with compatibility issues, but doesn't really seem to be an AMD issue so much as just part of the open source experience -- not everything gets updated as fast as you'd like unless your willing to do it yourself.
Open source is its own quandary. Not just the kernel, but the various components that make up the operating system around it. Lot of moving targets. I just did a survey of a few Ubuntu distros and a Fedora 33, typing on Mint 20 now, and while it's pretty solid on this 2020 XPS 15, there are still some 'gotchas'.

Overall I'd say that AMD has done a bang-up job with open source, with a few goofs along the way that they took responsibility for.
The biggest issue was with RAM. I say was since most of those issues were resolved in 2000 series. Heck, the RAM in my 3700X rig is not on Gigabyte's QVL. Yet, I was still able to overclock it to 3733 with lower timings.
QVLs are nice when they're updated! That's a pretty tall order though, so it's understandable that there's gaps. Mostly just use QVLs to figure out what should work.
The real fun was AMD and their partners getting the memory support dialed into UEFIs. Once they did that, stuff certainly seemed to smooth out.
That's when I started recommending AMD CPUs :).

Become a Patron!
Back