NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 FE Overclocking

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner1.png

Introduction

On October 27th, NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX 3070 series video cards.  We reviewed the GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition which has an MSRP of $499.  The GeForce RTX 3070 FE is based on the new Ampere architecture and comes in under the GeForce RTX 3080 on pricing and performance.  The GeForce RTX 3070 is mainly the replacement for the previous generation GeForce RTX 2070 and GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER. NVIDIA touted the GeForce RTX 3070 as providing the same performance level as previous generations GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE which has an $1,199 price tag.  In our review of the GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition we found that it trades-blows with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE depending on the game and resolution.  For the most part, the GeForce RTX 3070...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
too bad the card is power limited. It seems like it could get more oomph.

Still, nice performance gains and so much more power efficient than its big brothers.

BTW, did you try just OC the GPU to see if its bandwidth limited?

Performance benefits more from GPU frequency OC than memory if that's what you're asking.

It's impressive that they were able to match or exceed past the performance of a 2080Ti, while trimming off 80-90W of power as well.

Too bad you can't get your hands on any of the 30xx cards though :(

That's actually decent numbers overclocked on a 2560 x 1440 which is what I use.

I'd still be hard pressed to pay $500 for a 3070 when, as been mentioned elsewhere, for $200 more you can pick get a 3080........Well, in theory LOL.

Anyhow, it does crank up pretty good when overclocked.

As usual, a great informative article @Brent_Justice :love:

Performance benefits more from GPU frequency OC than memory if that's what you're asking.
That's exactly what I thought. Some people claim the RTX3070 would be bandwidth starved with "only" 448Gbps.

Thanks @Brent_Justice

Great review and nice to see even more credible info regarding the performance of the 3070 FE. For a while, it seemed like every leak, or press piece, that came out about this Ampere launch revolved around each card either met, or exceeded that of the 2080 Ti. Nice to see some clearer lines drawn from both with stock clocks and overclocking it. Still a good value compared to Turing though.

Howdy, y'all. I've been regularly visiting for I think 6 months now and I really like the style of reviews and overclocking here. I don't normally sign up anywhere or comment, but I can tell you know your stuff. My first build was with a Pentium 3 @ 700MHz back in the day and I've been overclocking and enjoying building ever since.

@Brent_Justice I particularly like how you compare overclocking against what the GPU core *actually* runs at, not against base or boost like other sites. It gives a much better idea of actual gains and how far the chips have already been pushed by the GPU boost out of the box. For example, my MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio runs at 1923MHz-1936MHz out of the box but after flashing the Lightning Z BIOS I can sustain 2085MHz-2100MHz in all games because of the 380W power limit.

Speaking of 2080Ti's, do you happen to have the results from this article handy? I would love to see what the individual CPU and GPU scores are in Timespy rather than the overall score. Unless somebody has the same system as your test rig (other than the GPU) it is difficult to get an idea of how far apart the GPU scores may be. Just so you have numbers to compare to, my R5 3600 under a Noctua NH-D15 scores ~7700 in Timespy while my 2080Ti scores ~16600.

Thanks again for the informative review!

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back