NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Reportedly Crashing Games at Higher Clock Rates (>2.0 GHz)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

GeForce RTX 3080 owners on ComputerBase, LinusTechTips, Overclockers.co.uk, and other communities are voicing their concerns about a potential issue with green team’s flagship graphics card. There are increasing reports of games crashing back to the desktop whenever the GPU exceeds clock rates of 2.0 GHz.

At least a handful of games and SKUs (e.g., EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 GAMING, MSI GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC, ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity) appear to be affected. It isn’t clear just how widespread this issue is, but users have confirmed that their cards haven’t been overclocked. The appropriate power supplies are also being used (i.e., 750 watt or better).

“So i recently recieved my MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC and i’m getting crashing...

Continue reading...

Driver maybe, but why only if it crosses a speed threshold?

Could be driver, could be power-voltage on the card. Who knows, maybe space invaders? Pretty sure we'll find out soon enough.

I don't have time to go and check but a quick glance at the list seems like cards that may not be using custom PCB's. I could easily be wrong but I did not see the MSI Trio or Asus Strix, which are both known to have the 3 x pin connectors. Not sure if Gigabyte has a custom one for the 2080 but saw a pic of a 3090 that does yesterday, so it's possible. If the reference design AIB and FE boards are having an issue that could point to something.

Maybe related to the rumor of a behind-the-scenes recall affecting stock at launch?

I had an FX 5900XT back in the day that did the same thing'ish

Last edited:
Nvidia never has cards at launch that have problems and triggers a near recall. NEVER.

space invaders.jpg

Become a Patron!
Back