NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 More Popular than AMD’s Entire Radeon RX 6000 Series, According to Steam

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-badge-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Despite carrying an MSRP of $1,499, NVIDIA’s most powerful Ampere graphics card, the GeForce RTX 3090, is more popular among gamers than AMD’s entire lineup of Radeon RX 6000 Series products. This is according to Steam’s Hardware and Software Survey for the month of July 2021, which reveals that the GeForce RTX 3090 features a market share of .38 percent on the platform versus AMD’s entire Radeon RX 6000 Series at .34 percent. While AMD’s RDNA 2 hardware doesn’t actually show up in the “All Video Cards” section, a redditor by the name of skipan pointed out that red team’s cards do show up in the “Vulkan Systems” category. This data can be used to figure out the overall share after some simple math is applied.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series

GeForce RTX 3090: 0.38%GeForce RTX 3080: 0.93%GeForce RTX 3070: 1.58%GeForce RTX 3060 Ti: 0.42%GeForce RTX...

Continue reading...

I'm not totally surprised. The RTX 3090 has had better availability than a lot of the current generation GPU's.

An aside -

I'm all for these news articles, but there are a lot of times that users break them before they get posted on the news page.

Can we do something to consolidate these threads? So we don't have multiple copies of the same topic floating above. Maybe past the previously started user threads into the main news thread, or link back to the user thread from the news article, or something.

I disagree with the "more popular" in the title, it's pure a matter of availability

I guess that depends on which definiteion of the word "popular" you use.

In a market like we are in, I'm sure people are just buying whatever they can get. It's not like Radeon 6000 series GPU's are just sitting on shelves unsold.

So, the reality of these numbers are as follows.

Either...

1.) Nvidia has been able to procure massively larger quantities of GPU chips than AMD, and thus have been able to sell more GPU's, or;
2.) Buyers of AMD GPU's are less likely to use Steam than buyers ov Nvidia GPU's because they;
a.) prefer other game stores or;
b.) use them for mining, not gaming.

There are actually 6000 series video cards sitting on the shelf unsold. Like, 50 of them at the local microcenter:

Checking today, they may even have a couple 3090s as well, but I just don’t want to spend 2400 on a 3090 at this point.

In a market like we are in, I'm sure people are just buying whatever they can get. It's not like Radeon 6000 series GPU's are just sitting on shelves unsold.

They are, here in Belgium they have been in stock for weeks now, people just don't seem to want to buy a 6800XT for 1.299€ to 1.499€. The cheapest 6700XT is 749€ most are around 1k€

There are actually 6000 series video cards sitting on the shelf unsold. Like, 50 of them at the local microcenter:

Checking today, they may even have a couple 3090s as well, but I just don’t want to spend 2400 on a 3090 at this point.
They are, here in Belgium they have been in stock for weeks now, people just don't seem to want to buy a 6800XT for 1.299€ to 1.499€. The cheapest 6700XT is 749€ most are around 1k€

Fair enough. I haven't even tried lately.

Most I will pay is original MSRP, ($1,499 for a 3090). Even that was a little bit overpriced for these IMHO.

If they are sitting on the shelves though, they will eventually have to get over their reluctance to sell them cheaper, so I guess that is indicative that things are moving in the right direction. We have a ways to go until these things are reasonable again though.

The original AMD and Nvidia MSRP's were unreasonable. They just represent the absolute most I'm willing to be ripped off. A 3090 should be a $799 GPU.

At these prices I'm honsetly surprised anyone is buying GPU's at all. Don't get me wrong, I like playing games and all, and I have the money, I just have a great reluctance towards being ripped off.

Last edited:
I asked in some other thread a while back that I would have liked to see how many 6000 series GPU's AMD actually has sold.
Reason was that I knew so very few that actually owned one.
I'm guessing the sales numbers are not all that flattering for AMD.

I asked in some other thread a while back that I would have liked to see how many 6000 series GPU's AMD actually has sold.
Reason was that I knew so very few that actually owned one.
I'm guessing the sales numbers are not all that flattering for AMD.

Probably not, but they have been plagued with availability problems as well. The Radeon brand also lacks the recognition outside the enthusiast community that NVIDIA has. There are lots of contributing factors, but NVIDA's flagship outselling the RX6000 series wouldn't surprise me if true.

I would buy a 6900XT at MSRP today. Haven't seen one in stock, let alone anywhere near MSRP.

I've no complaints with my 6800xt. Course I bought it before prices went Lex Luthor.

Probably not, but they have been plagued with availability problems as well. The Radeon brand also lacks the recognition outside the enthusiast community that NVIDIA has. There are lots of contributing factors, but NVIDA's flagship outselling the RX6000 series wouldn't surprise me if true.
So unless AMD can find another fab for it's GPU's or TSMC can seriously up their numbers just expect more of the same for next gen too....?

So unless AMD can find another fab for it's GPU's or TSMC can seriously up their numbers just expect more of the same for next gen too....?
AMD probably won’t have to provide as many chips for consoles for the next gen, so that should leave more capacity. Additionally, a chiplet design may have higher yields and better availability if higher end models just have more of the same chiplet.

AMD probably won’t have to provide as many chips for consoles for the next gen, so that should leave more capacity. Additionally, a chiplet design may have higher yields and better availability if higher end models just have more of the same chiplet.

Sony recently confirmed that they secured the mat's to make enough PS5 so sell 22 million PS5 current year they projected , given they already sold 10 million, that leaves 12 million to go, not sure the console maker have any intention to slow down atm, Xbox is running seriously behind and I would assume should be looking to increase fabrication.

Given that rumours about the fact that Nvidia is also looking into going back to TSMC for 5nm things might get even worse.

Sony recently confirmed that they secured the mat's to make enough PS5 so sell 22 million PS5 current year they projected , given they already sold 10 million, that leaves 12 million to go, not sure the console maker have any intention to slow down atm, Xbox is running seriously behind and I would assume should be looking to increase fabrication.

Given that rumours about the fact that Nvidia is also looking into going back to TSMC for 5nm things might get even worse.
Well, the good news is the console SOCs are 7nm. That could change if they do a mid-cycle refresh, but won't without that refresh occuring.

All of AMD's next-gen stuff is slated for 5nm. Still TSMC, but different node, so different "assembly line" (for lack of a better term).

However...
Nvidia is also slated to use 5nm and 7nm TSMC for their next gen, while staying on at Samsung for their lower-end cards. And Intel is is slated to use 5nm for some lower end CPUs. Apple already uses 5nm for their SOCs, although are due to jump to 3nm as soon as it's ready. So 5nm is going to be as crowded, if not moreso, than 7nm has been. But at least AMD wouldn't be splitting their quota between nearly two dozen different products

Become a Patron!
Back