NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction The wait is over, NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 4070 is here, and we’ve got a full review of the Founders Edition. Moving down the GeForce RTX 40 Series lineup, the GeForce RTX 4070 slots in underneath the RTX 4070 Ti, and thus a lower price point making the RTX 40 Series more affordable for all. NVIDIA launched its GeForce RTX 40 series GPUs based on the Ada Lovelace architecture in October of 2022 with the introduction of the top-end GeForce RTX 4090 which dominated performance in gaming across the board. The GeForce RTX 4090 launched with an MSRP of $1,599. […]

See full article...

Priced about $50-$100 too high (vs AMD's RX 6800 XT, which offers better raster at a lower price point), but at least it's quite compact, with good power efficiency, good temps & 12GB of VRAM, which is "ok" in this day & age (not to mention other NVIDIA tech like DLSS 3).

Edit: it's of note that a RX 6950XT can be had for $649 at places like Micro Center, so there's that to consider as well ...

Last edited:
Edit: it's of note that a RX 6950XT can be had for $649 at places like Micro Center, so there's that to consider as well ...
I saw that too.... Haven't done a Radeon route in a long long time. Do the drivers work now?

I've been with the 6800xt since February of last year and NO issues with drivers that actually caused interruption of service. The Fine wine is definitely paying off.

My 3080 = the drivers were fine up until about 2 months ago.. now they crash about once a week and require a reboot. I need to go back to when they stopped crashing on me but haven't taken the time to figure out what driver revision that needs to be just yet. No overclocks, it could be hardware related I guess, but I think it has more to do with drivers.

Same thing happened with my 980 - drivers were fine for about the first year, then after that, they started experiencing oddness. I was stuck on 300-series drivers or my computer would not go to sleep.

it's of note that a RX 6950XT can be had for $649 at places like Micro Center, so there's that to consider as well

6950 xt is being discounted to $600/$610 in newegg. So worth comparing ray tracing performance of 6950 vs 4070, imo. I reckon that the 6950 will be slightly inferior to the 4070.

So it probably comes down to case size, psu requirements, efficiency etc.
Also if you are planning on 4k gaming then the 6950 would be better bet in the same budget (assuming you are not looking up to the 4080/7900xtx/7900xt range)

Become a Patron!
Back