NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition Overclocked

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Overclocking GeForce RTX 4090 FE Review The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition, launched in October 2022, is already the fastest video card for gaming, but we want to take it further. In today’s overclocking review, we are going to overclock the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition video card to the max and see […]

See full article...

As always thanks! Can't wait to get home and try your settings.

I used some less aggressive settings with my Suprim Liquid X and had similar results but Afterburner only let me increase its power target by 110%. However, my core clock is only ~75 MHz lower (2860 to 2885) than this but the Suprim hybrid cooling solution keeps it cool and quiet (using stock fan curve and it rarely goes above 50% while keeping it in the 60s or lower. Power draw for me has mostly been in the 430s with occasional spikes just over 500W and not uncommon to even see it drop below 400. So far, the only game I've tested that kept it up there was RE3 where I cranked the IQ setting to 200%. It loaded the VRAM to 18GB and the power draw pinged 499-530W. FPS dropped to 50-55 but man it looks good. I did some testing with Metro Enhanced as well and it's so nice to finally be able to crank everything and turn off DLSS. I'm planning on doing another playthrough real soon. I did see it pull upwards of 500W at times but have only barely done some real-world play testing with it.

Well, I had a little time to experiment while dinner was cooking last night. I'm pretty sure I was hitting a power wall but I was mostly able to replicate this. I only spent maybe 20 minutes of testing but got to a seemingly stable point with +185 on the core and +1200 for mem which got me to 2940-2955 w/ occasional spikes to 2970 and mem at 11400.

The Suprim X only allows a +110 (even with X1). It was fun to see the upper limits of what this card can do but I doubt I'll use these as my gaming settings. The cooling solution was still amazing but with the stock fan settings I saw, interestingly, both the temp and fan usage go to 66-67 but at that point, it started to pull down the core clock to something like 2910. When I cranked fans to 100% temps dropped to 50-55c and the core was back to maxing. I've heard that in limited power situations it's a good idea to dial back the mem clock to free up power for the GPU hence why I had it at 1200 but I might take it back a little more just to see if it can reach 2970 more easily. However, I ran about 10 benches with Metro Exodus Enhanced, and a few with CB 2077, the same settings Brent used with mostly the same results but TBP was hanging 510-520W. My other overclock settings with core at 2860-2885 and mem at 11000 used less power and the stock fan curve was more than enough to keep it quiet too so I'll probably just stick with them. I figure I'm only losing out on maybe less than 1% of an OC gain while retaining all the benefits of why I wanted the Liquid X.

BTW I ran the SOTR benchmark and it was hilarious. At 4K, Q. DLSS, and everything but post processing stuff maxed, it ranged 185-250 FPS with some spikes upwards of 300 FPS. I still remember watching this game bringing a 2080 Ti to its knees. This a game you can play w/o DLSS at well over 60 FPS on a 4090 w/ smaa x2(maybe 4-can't remember the limit here) and looks great but it's just hilarious to see such FPS at 4K with almost everything else maxed.

On the note of a power wall, I came across this chart on TPU a couple of months back when researching this, and other cards. It could be useful for those wanting to tinker with their 4090s and wondering about power variants.

tdp-adjustment-limit.png

Just to add, that I was able to get mem to 11700 but at that point, I started to dial it back in favor of getting the core to max out.

Become a Patron!
Back