NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Users Are Still Complaining about Burnt Power Cables: “12VHPWR Adapter Melted after Six Months”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The controversy surrounding NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs and the potential for melted 12VHPWR adapters seemingly refuses to die. Per a new roundup of alleged reports that has been shared online, one ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 owner has claimed that their "fully connected" power cable burned up after 6 or 7 months, while another claims that they ran into a similar issue under the same time frame, presenting the usual and now-tiresome photos of a damaged connector. At least one more involves the GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition, which was paired with a Corsair SF Series SF750 Platinum PSU. NVIDIA's last official update about melting power connectors appears to be from November 18, 2022, and it includes images that imply user error.

See full article...

This thing seemed to be inserted corredtly, still fused toghether

And the show go's on... and on... and on... Spin only win's if product with the problem has already moved through the consumer RMA process.

Still no issue here with mine *knocks on wood*. I actually got the cablemod 90 degree adapter and though I've always liked their cables I will not use that adapter due to fitment issues with my card even though I ordered the correct adapter for my card from their website.

I haven't had any issues, knocking on wood as well. All three of my rigs have cards that use that adapter and the 3090 Ti's power usage is nearly identical to the 4090. Seriously if you just watched the power usage in MSI AB most would swear that it was the same card. I admit I haven't pulled the cable off my 4090 in about six months but the 3090 Ti's have had multiple homes at this point and I'd expect to see something and haven't.

Meanwhile, I caught this story as well on the weekend. GN did a post on it (also covered more about the ASUS/GIGABYTE/AMD thing as well).

Become a Patron!
Back