NVIDIA is now publishing Linux GPU kernel modules

So apparently NVIDIA is now supporting Linux operating systems. Any Linux fans that are excited about this or will you continue to use Windows?

Seems more like an F U to valve for going with an AMD APU than anything given the timing

So apparently NVIDIA is now supporting Linux operating systems. Any Linux fans that are excited about this or will you continue to use Windows?
What are you talking about?, nivdia has been supporting Linux for decades and for the longest time their drivers have been every bit as good as the windows drivers.

You mean now they are open source? who cares? o yeah that 0.000001% programmer who wanto to mess with them for some reason.

What are you talking about?, nivdia has been supporting Linux for decades and for the longest time their drivers have been every bit as good as the windows drivers.
They are now releasing an open source version, which they have not done previously.

You mean now they are open source? who cares? o yeah that 0.000001% programmer who wanto to mess with them for some reason.
It also allows them to be included with those distros that restrict proprietary packages by default. And it can help prevent older hardware from becoming obsolete, by allowing the community to continue driver development after official support is gone.

But yeah, realistically and in the immediate term, it doesn't really change anything, unless they leak their DLSS code or something inside the driver...

Thanks for clarifying, I had no idea NVIDIA always supported Linux. I must have misread the article on NVIDIA's site, it sounded new.

Thanks for clarifying, I had no idea NVIDIA always supported Linux. I must have misread the article on NVIDIA's site, it sounded new.
nVidia has published a proprietary driver for a really long time now, and has supported Linux fairly well. It's just the driver code was never made open source.

For years nvidia was the hardware of choice for linux as the drivers were (are) top notch, it took decades for ATI/AMD to reach parity even with open source drivers, AMD/ATI was not quite good (to put it blunty) with OpenGL on windows, it was abismal on linux.

BTW don't think for a second that AMD/ATI open sourced its drivers because of their good hart. They didn't have the time, man power, nor resources to develop their own linux drivers, so in AMD's fashion they let the community make them.

I mean its good that nvidia has open sourced its linux drivers, but I don't feel like they are needed as much as AMD drivers were back then.

Looking forward to having these in Fedora at some point - Fedora is still quite straightforward to get running with an Nvidia GPU regardless, but a 'naked' config has its appeal.

Not quite interested enough to go see if they've gotten Nvidia and Wayland working seamlessly yet though, lol.

Become a Patron!
Back