NVIDIA Launches Portal: Prelude RTX with Full Ray Tracing, DLSS 3, and RTX IO, a new GPU-Accelerated Storage Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA has announced that Portal: Prelude RTX, a fully ray-traced remaster of the highest-rated Portal mod of all time with DLSS 3, is now available as a free download on Steam. This title is the first to feature support for RTX IO, a new GPU-accelerated storage technology from NVIDIA that promises faster texture loading times and more. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will also feature support for RTX IO when it launches on July 26.

See full article...

Look everyone Nvidia made their own version of direct storage because.... why not?

Look everyone Nvidia made their own version of direct storage because.... why not?
It's not their own version, it is just software to optimize DirectStorage for use on NVIDIA hardware, particularly on Lovelace. It's similar to what RTX is to DXR.

It's not their own version, it is just software to optimize DirectStorage for use on NVIDIA hardware, particularly on Lovelace. It's similar to what RTX is to DXR.
I guess that makes more sense. I just... I guess I'm having trouble seeing how Nvidia will make storage calls faster than direct.

I guess that makes more sense. I just... I guess I'm having trouble seeing how Nvidia will make storage calls faster than direct.
It's not the storage calls, it's the GPU-side decompression that leverages NVIDIA hardware in RTX IO. I haven't been able to find a white paper, so I don't know how exactly it works, but it sounds like they're just using any idle cores for decompression. They say that it scales with the number of cores available, so that is just a guess.

Become a Patron!
Back