NVIDIA Readying Refreshed RTX Cards with Faster Memory to Counter AMD’s Navi

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
According to RedGamingTech, NVIDIA is planning a refreshed range of RTX Turing cards to fend off AMD’s Navi lineup. These cards will reportedly feature GDDR6 memory running at a clock speed of 16 Gbps. That’s a 2 Gbps improvement over current RTX GPUs, which have a memory speed of 14 Gbps.

For the RTX 2080, that would mean a jump in memory bandwidth from 448GB/s to 512GB/s, an almost 15% increase (and faster memory bandwidth means a faster graphics card in general).

I wonder how much of an impact this will actually have.

Interesting that Nvidia feels that they need a refresh already on their somewhat newly released flagship cards to compete with Navi

Interesting that Nvidia feels that they need a refresh already on their somewhat newly released flagship cards to compete with Navi

I don't think it does. NVIDIA's success is largely due in part to them putting as much distance between their products and the competition as possible.

I'll be interested to see the temps on the vram. My FE 2080ti gets way too hot and I had to wait about 5 months for them to clear out the ones with the bad vram.

Realistically, I've found most modern games to be more clock/pixel/engine driven than memory bandwidth limited, especially on high-end cards. Where a bump like this would really help are the lower-end video cards, those are the ones I'd like to see memory clock bumped. Regardless, if NVIDIA wants to send the new cards, I'd gladly take them for a run and make some comparisons to see the difference.

Become a Patron!
Back