NVIDIA Releases FrameView, a Free Performance and Power Benchmarking App

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
FrameView, NVIDIA's all-in-one GPU benchmarking app, is now available for download. The program supports all major APIs and simplifies the process of measuring frame rates, frame times, power usage, performance per watt, and more.

While plenty of other benchmarking tools exist, NVIDIA claims FrameView is the most accurate solution available. Performance and power metrics include rendered, displayed, and 90th/95th/99th percentile frame rates, CHP, TGP, and PPW. Results are compiled using PresentMon, which can be quickly turned into graphs.

It has a minimal, lightweight impact on performance while benchmarking, its integrated overlay enables you to view performance and stats during gameplay, and it’s vendor agnostic, too, enabling the collection of detailed, comparative data. One exception: AMD’s GPU power consumption API reports a value in-between chip power and board power, rather than the true values.

Wow perfect timing. I'm currently in the process of benchmarking my current PC so I can compare it to the Ryzen parts coming later this week!

Feels like, those scientific reports where they say things like "Nicotine is good for growing teens" or "Fat causes heart disease, sugar is perfectly OK!" And you peel back a layer or two and find out the studies were funded by RGR and Coca-Cola.

Doesn't record chip or board power on my STRIX 980. Disappointed. Also hides the UI in the game I'm trying to benchmark ><

Let me trust Nvidia to be completely agnostic when it comes to generating performance numbers between AMD and Nvidia or AMD and Intel. (CPU to GPU and so on.)

I don't think that will be the case.

It's based on PresentMon, use OCAT on AMD systems if you've got a tinfoil hat

I dont get the dismissal ... yet.
This looks to be a useful tool with one proviso, it wont measure power use on AMD cards with full accuracy.
It will measure frame response times as accurately as possible, not an easy task.
Is there a reason to dismiss it with a good foundation?

This looks to be a useful tool with one proviso, it wont measure power use on AMD cards with full accuracy.
It will measure frame response times as accurately as possible, not an easy task.

My dismissal is mostly snark based. It may be an awesome tool. I suspect it will be just fine for the most part.

You always have to be skeptical when an entity has the capability of self promotion.

And has done as much in the past. Granted, so has AMD, but I'd be just as skeptical if AMD came out with a "Cross-Platform" benchmarking tool.

That's why I'm skeptical. You never know what kind of "tweaks" they may or may not have done under the hood to give themselves a perceived advantage.

That's why I'm skeptical. You never know what kind of "tweaks" they may or may not have done under the hood to give themselves a perceived advantage.

It's easy to figure out on games with built in benchmarking tools. You can run both and see if the results correlate. I'm actually going to try this software out and see how it works. This will give me the ability to benchmark and test a broader selection of games.

It's easy to figure out on games with built in benchmarking tools. You can run both and see if the results correlate. I'm actually going to try this software out and see how it works. This will give me the ability to benchmark and test a broader selection of games.

For testers this is potentially an amazing tool as long as it can be vetted with new driver and hardware generations. But yea if I were doing testing professionally I would be all about making sure this tool is as truthful as possible the using the F out of it.

Become a Patron!
Back