NVIDIA Reportedly Reviving GeForce GTX 1050 Ti amid High-End Graphics Card Shortage

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-gpu-box-1024x577.jpg
Image: PALIT

NVIDIA is reportedly bringing the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti back into the now-depressing graphics card market. The claim comes from the host of YouTube hardware channel Tech YES City, who supposedly received a couple of calls from local (Australian) stores advising him that they’ve begun restocking select models such as ASUS’s Phoenix series again. This is a pretty surprising development, being that the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is a Pascal-era GPU that’s over four years old (it launched on October 25, 2016).

“[…] the main one that I’m seeing back in Australia coming back into stock is the ASUS Phoenix,” Tech YES City said. “Now, I did ask ASUS about this card, and saying, what’s the situation here, and they told me that it’s...

Continue reading...

Why go back that far? Its weird. I thought we had 1650 and some such.

1650 are Turing on 12nm TSMC. 1050 is Pascal on 14nm Samsung

Probably has to do entirely with current inventory and fab capacity

why not make 1080 Ti's and sell them for $400? They'd fly.

The 1050Ti is garbage.

If I'm cruising the internet daily for an RTX 3080 or 3090, a GTX 1050 isn't an option. Then again, NVIDIA might just be double dipping with the crowd that sold their 1080 Ti's and RTX 2080 cards in anticipation of being able to buy new 30 series cards and now have nothing.

That and the people who are either building new or suffer a GPu failure - need something if you don’t have IGP

I would normally say that’s not a huge market, but when availability is zero for almost everything - maybe it’s worth throwing some old product at

We can all guess. My Guess is this.

"Well if people are paying 600 plus for a 2080 these days, why not sell those 1050ti chips. We can make them super cheap and they will sell for 200 easy all day long."

Hey, there's a high end graphics card shortage.

Why don't we revive a nearly obsolete low end graphics card to address it?

What the hell are they smoking?

I was putting together a back up PC and was looking for a low end card. Ending up getting a Gigabyte 1030 and that was hard to find.

I was putting together a back up PC and was looking for a low end card. Ending up getting a Gigabyte 1030 and that was hard to find.
I bought a GT730 (you're reading that right) for a domain controller. I would have bought something better, but couldn't justify spending any more, and well, everything costs more than it should, and a domain controller just doesn't need it.

There are two lessons learned:
  • AMD consumer GPUs cannot use any driver other than the generic Windows driver with currently-supported Windows Server releases
    • And I don't mean a generic AMD driver... I mean the driver that gets installed when there is no specific driver
  • Buying an Intel CPU that didn't have a GPU as an enthusiast was a mistake that I've more than paid the difference to fix, and I'd still rather have the Intel GPU because QuickSync is actually more widely supported for my application than NVENC, which has (literally) several orders of magnitude more industry support than whatever AMD calls their half-arsed attempt at a checkbox-level alternative itself
I have an RX460 4GB that's just about useless right now. I'd actually trade it 1:1, I'd even pay shipping, for a 1050Ti or better.

Become a Patron!
Back