NZXT Officially Recalls H1 Case for Being a Fire Hazard

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nzxt-h1-case-lower-riser-card-retention-screw-1024x576.jpg
Image: NZXT

NZXT has officially recalled the H1 case for its widely publicized safety issue, whereby two screws that attach the PCIe riser assembly to the chassis may cause an electrical short circuit and lead to a fire. The recall has been confirmed by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, which updated its website with a listing of the H1 and a description of the danger that the computer case poses. The listing also points out that a total of 32,000 units are affected, not including an additional 1,024 sold in Canada.

NZXT had attempted to remedy the issue by sending out a repair kit that included nylon screws, but the hardware community argued that it was a poor solution because someone could unknowingly replace the nylon screws with metal ones. The...

Continue reading...

I understand that these things take a lot of time for manufacturers to consider, and that's why it's taken so long; though upon inspection for those that care to do so, it may have taken too long, I just haven't done that.

Still, I have some respect for NZXT for owning up. Right thing to do and all that, and while the only product I own of theirs still in use is an old... H500? serving as a NAS because it can take over a dozen 3.5" spinners, and it was bought expressly for that purpose, I've always found their products fairly interesting, fairly well built especially for their price brackets, and overall fairly well designed.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an NZXT product in the future, I don't think.

Aaahh, I wonder if this is the issue GN has been talking about for the past few weeks:
(I haven't seen any of these videos)

I was always interested in that case. Cool design and small footprint.

How is the recall handled? Do they ship you a new case so you can just switch out and send back the recalled version?

I'm not gonna watch those videos....

I was always interested in that case. Cool design and small footprint.

How is the recall handled? Do they ship you a new case so you can just switch out and send back the recalled version?

I'm not gonna watch those videos....

You need a new riser cable for the GPU that's all normally, one that is not shorted to ground.

I actually did like this case for other people I was building computers for that were not enthusiasts. it would probably give them the feeling of a premium case without them having to spend much at all. Again Steve and the team at Gamers Nexus deserve a lot of credit here.

Heres to hoping NZXT brings this back with some upgrades in the near future. Also good on them for making this move, better late than never.

Become a Patron!
Back