Oh now this is cute

Brian_B

FPS Enthusiast
So I start up my computer this morning, no big deal.

Edge randomly launches with a splash screen asking me to update my browser preference back to Edge with a pop-up window in Edge.

I don't use Edge. I did try it for about a week a few months back - it did not convince me to switch from Chrome.

Now what was particularly interesting about this -- the computer wouldn't let me do anything else while this popup was up - I couldn't alt-tab, I couldn't click the desktop, I couldn't open the Start menu. I couldn't even screenshot the popup to post here. In hindsite, I should have just taken a pic with my phone.

So, I was annoyed because Edge decided to randomly pop itself up. I'm pissed because Microsoft decided it was important enough that it shouldn't let me do anything else, including screenshot it. Talk about underhanded - MS back to it's old tricks.

Makes me glad this is mostly just a gaming rig. I should really try running Linux on it one of these days.

I'm on Alder Lake and haven't made the switch yet. This is one of the reasons why.

To note, if you are on Windows 10 and have legacy apps/websites that only work with IE you'll randomly get the same pop-up's when you open those sites in IE. Asking you to switch to Edge or continue browsing with IE.

What was the last operating system Micro$oft tried this with and it ended up being a failure? I don't think it was 8 or 8.1, maybe Vista?

So today - Edge started up on it's own again. No system-wide blockout popup, but still annoying.

It's not listed in Startup Apps. It's not in the Startup menu folder. I don't know if there is a service associated with this or not. So I did a quick google search:

If you don't want Microsoft Edge to start when you sign in to Windows, you can change this in Windows Settings.

1. Go to Start > Settings .

2. Select Accounts > Sign-in options.

3. Turn off Automatically save my restartable apps when I sign out and restart them when I sign in.

So I go look:

1641921833583.png

Nope, that isn't it either.

Found this thread, gonna try this next

Makes me glad I haven't switched anything over yet. I'm using 10 on everything and it's got an annoying habit of having the "you haven't finished setting up. . ." window that pops up about once a month but that's about the only issue, presently.

I did a quick search and more or less found the same stuff you did. Pretty much all about 10 though even when they mention 11.

Edge did finally stop opening on startup - for the moment. But I don’t know if it was anything I did or if it was just MS allowing me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I couldn't count how many times I've seen a Windows, or other, update come through and knock out a changed setting I've made. Go to bed and everything is fine. Wake up the next morning and boot up and then it's a WTF moment.

Become a Patron!
Back