Oppenheimer: Robert Downey Jr. and Matt Damon Join Christopher Nolan’s New Movie About the Invention of the Atomic Bomb

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
operation-upshot-knothole-badger-detonation-1024x576.jpg
Image: National Nuclear Security Administration

Deadline has learned that two A-list actors, Robert Downey Jr. and Matt Damon, have joined the cast of Christopher Nolan’s new Oppenheimer film. The movie centers around J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientist who ran the Manhattan Project during World War II to create the first nuclear weapons. The film is slated for release on July 21, 2023.

From Deadline:

[That’s] roughly two weeks before the anniversary of the dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima. Details behind who Damon and Downey Jr. will be playing in the project are being kept under wraps. […]Universal will distribute Oppenheimer theatrically worldwide and release the film in North America. Nolan will also be producing along with Emma Thomas and Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven. The film is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book American...

Continue reading...

I predict awful pacing.

I'd rather see something on University of Chicago and Oak Ridge National Labs on the first power plant; the bomb story has been done a couple times over. It's interesting for sure, but it's just one part of the overall story of the world's coming to age in the Atomic Era.

Of course, I suppose, watching a giant concrete cube sit there and hum and make invisible electricity isn't nearly as exciting as watching a tower fabulously explode and throw up a mushroom cloud.

Become a Patron!
Back