Outriders’ Single-Player Mode Can’t Be Paused Unless You’ve Got an NVIDIA Graphics Card

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
outriders-key-art-demo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Square Enix

Similar to an increasing number of always-online, GaaS (games as a service) titles, Square Enix’s new cooperative role-playing third-person game Outriders features a single-player mode that doesn’t allow players to pause the game. One clever poster on r/Outriders has figured out the solution to this, however—NVIDIA graphics cards users who have GeForce Experience installed can activate green team’s exclusive in-game capture technology, Ansel, to freeze the game at any time in single player simply by hitting Alt F2. Unfortunately, the requirement of Ansel means that AMD Radeon GPU owners can’t leverage the same trick to pause Outriders in its single-player mode.

Owners of Nvidia GPUs will be familiar with GeForce Experience, the software that downloads driver updates and forgets your password. It also comes with a photo mode called Ansel that you can...

Continue reading...

I had no interest in this title anyway, so it doesn't personally impact me, but this would piss me off.
Why? There are many games that you can't pause, even offline titles. You can't pause Dark Souls even when disconnected.

Why? There are many games that you can't pause, even offline titles. You can't pause Dark Souls even when disconnected.

Why? because my life has changed since I was young, single and living alone and could dedicate hours to games.

I have responsibilities these days, and I have to always be ready to pause (or save and quit) at a moments notice.

It is one of the reasons I have almost completely stopped playing online multiplayer games.

If a game is not suited to my busy life, then I simply won't play it.

I demand:

1.) The ability to save at any time of my choosing, not just at predetermined checkpoints.

2.) The ability to hit esc or some other key to pause the game, preferably with it not continuing to render full speed in the background, because that is just wasteful.

3.) Single player games be offline. Unless a game is actively in multiplayer mode it should never be sending or receiving any network packets.

And I mean, it's cool. If game devs want to continue using ****ting development practices, they can do whatever they want. I just won't buy or play their games. (and if I accidentally buy them, I'll just request a refund)

Gaming simply is not a priority for me anymore. Of all the things I have going on, it comes in pretty low in the list, so when I play a game it as to be entirely on my terms, or I just won't play it.

Last edited:
Why? because my life has changed since I was young, single and living alone and could dedicated hours to games.

I have responsibilities these days, and I have to always be ready to pause (or save and quit) at a moments notice.

It is one of the reasons I have almost completely stopped playing online multiplayer games.

If a game is not suited to my busy life, then I simply won't play it.

I demand:

1.) The ability to save at any time of my choosing, not just at predetermined checkpoints.

2.) The ability to hit esc or some other key to pause the game, preferably with it not continuing to render full speed in the background, because that is just wasteful.

3.) Single player games be offline. Unless a game is actively in multiplayer mode it should never be sending or receiving any network packets.

And I mean, it's cool. If game devs want to continue using ****ting development practices, they can do whatever they want. I just won't buy or play their games. (and if I accidentally buy them, I'll just request a refund)

Gaming simply is not a priority for me anymore. Of all the things I have going on, it comes in pretty low in the list, so when I play a game it as to be entirely on my terms, or I just won't play it.
I'd have no problem with pause if you set your game privacy to Closed. The issue is people leave it Open and get upset when random people join their game even though it is a user issue.

I'd have no problem with pause if you set your game privacy to Closed. The issue is people leave it Open and get upset when random people join their game even though it is a user issue.
I've never played a game where that was a thing. I think we established it's normal not to have pause in a multiplayer game. Absolutely no reason for a single player have not to have pause.

I've never played a game where that was a thing. I think we established it's normal not to have pause in a multiplayer game. Absolutely no reason for a single player have not to have pause.

Yeah, I don't know what this "game privacy" **** is.

In a single player game, every game should be private.

Angry Joe says this game is a total bug wasteland anyway, not worth the effort

Become a Patron!
Back