Overclocking AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-2-1024x432.png

Introduction

In our AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT video card review we evaluated performance in many games at 1440p, 4K, with Ray Tracing and FSR.  We compared it with a GeForce RTX 3090 and a Radeon RX 6800 XT.  The one thing we didn’t do, was to overclock it yet to see how high we could push it.  The AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT we have is a built-by AMD card and uses AMD’s standard build design for this video card. 

In our review today we are going to overclock the AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT as high as we can and benchmark it in each game again.  We will benchmark it at 1440p, 4K, and with Ray Tracing and FSR in Godfall.  We are going to use the same GPU comparison from our full review.  We’ll be comparing it with a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING OC video card and an...

Continue reading...

In the end, the $999 MSRP price tag compared to the $649 MSRP Radeon RX 6800 XT doesn’t make a lot of sense.

But…

There were many scenarios where it was now on par with the GeForce RTX 3090 where it was slower without the overclock. There were also scenarios where it was just slightly edging out the RTX 3090.

Ok so it isn’t a value compared to a 6800, but no mention of how that stacks up against nVidia counterparts (with respect to value).

Seems if it can hang rasterizing, it may have trouble raytracing but it’s $400 less - in that light it isn’t such a bad deal?

Is it that the 6800 is just such a great value? I get comparing it to the 3090 and that makes sense, but what about a 3080 or 3089 Ti?

But…

Ok so it isn’t a value compared to a 6800, but no mention of how that stacks up against nVidia counterparts (with respect to value).

Seems if it can hang rasterizing, it may have trouble raytracing but it’s $400 less - in that light it isn’t such a bad deal?

Is it that the 6800 is just such a great value? I get comparing it to the 3090 and that makes sense, but what about a 3080 or 3089 Ti?

Also in the Review

It might also make more sense over a GeForce RTX 3090 if it is cheaper, as that is more expensive by MSRP

Brent, I like how you incorporate DLSS and FSR in your graphs. Makes it very clear the performance option of using those technologies at that resolution for games that support them. RT is looking good for AMD on titles that were more developed with AMD in mind. I would say the more likely competitor now for the 6900XT is the 3080Ti vice the 3090. Great job, fun read.

Become a Patron!
Back