Overwatch 2 Players Are Crying “Scam” after Blizzard Locks Story Missions (PvE) behind $15 Paywall

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Blizzard has announced that Story Missions are finally making their debut in Overwatch 2 as part of Invasion, the game's sixth season, but players will need to pay $15 in order to access the new PvE content that promises "fast-paced, co-op gameplay, as well as story, cinematics, and cutscenes that expand the world of Overwatch." With Overwatch 2 being a free-to-play game, this development may not be too surprising, but many critics have pointed out that other F2P games have traditionally offered this sort of content for free—an apparent fact that has led others to call Blizzard "scammers," some of whom are now threatening that they're going to drop the game completely. Blizzard clarified last month that PvE was still in the works for Overwatch 2 following a confusing stream that suggested the opposite, but at the time, the company didn't say anything about what has effectively turned out to be a paywall. An Overwatch 2: Ultimate Invasion Bundle that costs $40 will also be available.

See full article...

Wow... I mean . Just . Wow . That really is awfully scammy.
I dunno - the game is F2P otherwise, I kinda get it. It's not like you threw $60 out there and this is another $15 on top of that. It's pretty common from what I've seen for multiplayer to remain free (you may not be paying, but you provide fodder for the whales to play with, so you have value even as a free player in a multiplayer scenario), but single player stuff costs on top.

What I think is scummy is they did charge for Overwatch 1, and they just shut it down and force transitioned everyone over to this F2P crap, with no credit towards stuff like this. They did was provide early unlocks for characters... that you can unlock as F2P anyway.

I occasionally poked around in OW1, I never could get into the team arena thing, but they had some single player oriented events that I liked on occasion. I haven't even considered OW2 though.

Become a Patron!
Back