Patriot Viper Venom RGB DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 6200MHz Memory Kit Review

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction Viper is a gaming brand established in 2007 by Patriot Memory which has been in business since 1985 producing high-performance memory modules, flash memory, mobile accessories, and gaming equipment. The brand targets the eSports, Gaming, and Entertainment audiences by producing products that perform well and often look good while doing so. The specific kit […]

Go to post

Ohhhh.. DDR5 reviews... Just in time for gaining knowledge on what to get when AM5 / Zen4 stuff starts rolling out. I've been reading that CL isn't the end-all-be-all value to OC on with DDR5. CL40 is faster than CL36, as the frequency gains (6200 @ CL40 vs 5600 @ CL36) outweigh the latency.

Buildzoid has a great video on the subject:

CL40 is faster than CL36, as the frequency gains (6200 @ CL40 vs 5600 @ CL36) outweigh the latency.
BuildZoid's video certainly is informative, and it's also important to mention that it's not just the frequency gains, but also being able to tighten all of the timings that come after the '6200-40-40-40' primaries.

It's also worth mentioning that DDR5 is currently very strongly stratified by manufacturer, and if looking to push performance, out of Micron, Samsung, and Hynix, one should try to find modules with Hynix DRAM ICs if at all possible. Additionally, I'd recommend paying attention to module cooling if pushing performance as well!

Ohhhh.. DDR5 reviews... Just in time for gaining knowledge on what to get when AM5 / Zen4 stuff starts rolling out. I've been reading that CL isn't the end-all-be-all value to OC on with DDR5. CL40 is faster than CL36, as the frequency gains (6200 @ CL40 vs 5600 @ CL36) outweigh the latency.
Well, as with prior generations, Intel vs AMD platform architecture will probably make a difference here in performance. If you go back to the DDR1 days looking at the Athlon vs P4 Northwoods, the former cared a LOT about latency while the latter did not. Thus, I wouldn't extrapolate the observed performance generalities on Alder Lake to Zen4 until testing is done.

Thus, I wouldn't extrapolate the observed performance generalities on Alder Lake to Zen4 until testing is done.
My extrapolation is: it depends on how much L3 cache is available and how well it's implemented. DDR5 in it's best implementations is already "I win" levels of performance.

I just wanted to support Space_Ranger's suggestion of watching the Buildzoid video. I watched it when it came out, very informative. The general rule of thumb with DDR5 moving forward is going to be for more MT/s, but as David suggested, how much these things affect Intel vs AMD platform can be different.

Become a Patron!
Back