Patty Jenkins Criticizes Streaming Movies, Says HBO Max Release was “Detrimental” to Wonder Woman 1984

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
wonder-woman-1984-diana-televisions-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

Patty Jenkins, director of Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984, is the latest filmmaker to slam the decision of movie studios shifting to a strategy involving day-and-date releases of blockbuster films on streaming platforms.

Speaking during last week’s CinemaCon, Jenkins commented on the release of Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max and expressed her disappointment at the streaming release, calling it a “very, very, very difficult choice” that was “detrimental” to the movie.

“I don’t think it plays the same on streaming ever,” Jenkins said. “It was the right choice for all of us, and I was very much in deep conversation with Warner Bros. about that particular film. But no, I’m not a fan.”

Jenkins went on to echo other directors who insist that movies are meant to be seen on the big screen, arguing that the theatrical experience should be held...

Continue reading...

Perhaps directors like her need to realize that the "theatrical experience" extends beyond what is shown on the screen.

Sadly that movie had so many glaring issues with it it kind of ruined Wonder Woman. They will need a rework and to basically ignore it to have the next wonder woman be good. You know.. like highlander 2.

I didn't even watch it for free. And I liked the first WW movie, it was one of the best modern superhero movies, but from what I've heard about 1984, it landed right next to Rise of Skywalker in the never touch pile.
Well , i haven't watched rise, but ww84 ain't too terrible, the bad guy's acting basically carried the movie in my opinion... I don't know how widely shared this opinion is though.

Well , i haven't watched rise, but ww84 ain't too terrible, the bad guy's acting basically carried the movie in my opinion... I don't know how widely shared this opinion is though.

The acting of the villians was great. The problem for me was the story was convoluted. Wonder woman the Amazon goddess (spoiler territory) was just really lonely so she wished for her boyfriend back who effectively possessed some random schmuck that she saw beyond and loved. But the cost of his existence was a draining of her super powers. At the same time a timid coworker of hers wished to be like Diana not knowing she was wonder woman so she became like her. But not like her because after taking off her glasses and "discovering" she was smoking hot she used that and her powers as a weapon. After discovering what was going on her mission became to stop wonder woman. Somewhere in there she mutated into chetarra. I don't even know how that happened. All of her respect and everything for Diana went poof because I don't know why. Maybe timid hot office girls are all secretly catty bitches that want what others have. Was that the message?

Anyway the plot was... way too simple. In an effort to keep the girl power message it turns out what made wonder woman weak was her love for her guy. Once that was given up over some crying and begging the man made the choice and convinced wonder woman to revoke her wish.

See what I mean about a messed up plot and messaging?

Was the movie entertaining... yes. But it did not come close.to equalling the greatness of the 1st one.

Also note in my entire description there was no need for the mulligan crystal of wishes and even the main bad guy who was limited but acted so well I had no problems other than why was that the story. There were some leaps there but over all meh jts a super hero story. Those issues were minor at best compared to everything else.

The acting of the villians was great. The problem for me was the story was convoluted. Wonder woman the Amazon goddess (spoiler territory) was just really lonely so she wished for her boyfriend back who effectively possessed some random schmuck that she saw beyond and loved. But the cost of his existence was a draining of her super powers. At the same time a timid coworker of hers wished to be like Diana not knowing she was wonder woman so she became like her. But not like her because after taking off her glasses and "discovering" she was smoking hot she used that and her powers as a weapon. After discovering what was going on her mission became to stop wonder woman. Somewhere in there she mutated into chetarra. I don't even know how that happened. All of her respect and everything for Diana went poof because I don't know why. Maybe timid hot office girls are all secretly catty bitches that want what others have. Was that the message?

Anyway the plot was... way too simple. In an effort to keep the girl power message it turns out what made wonder woman weak was her love for her guy. Once that was given up over some crying and begging the man made the choice and convinced wonder woman to revoke her wish.

Was the movie entertaining... yes. But it did not come close.to equalling the greatness of the 1st one.
IMO the 1st one was not that good either, but I share your points on WW84, everything seems to happen for no reason. Even Linda Carter cameo made no sense.

Pedro Pascal was definitely fantastic and pretty much the only thing that held that movie together. The character was as ridiculous as the rest of the story, but Pascal's acting chops truly made the best of the character. Ironically, his character is the only one in the entire movie with a real redemption arc. Nobody else learns anything at all from the entire ordeal.

Become a Patron!
Back