PC Gaming Chair Recommendations

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'm looking for a chair recommendation of any kind really. I am interested in gaming chairs as I've sat in a few that were fairly comfortable. I would prefer to keep the price to around $600 max, but I can flex that if need be. I've had the Herman Miller Aeron and the Ergo Human ME7ERG. I've killed about half a dozen cheap Office Max style chairs over the years so I am not interested in more of those. The ME7ERG I liked a lot, but mine is falling apart. I've had it for about eight years now. The companies warranty support isn't for **** either.

I would like something that at least has some conservative color options, no RGB (as that's evidently a thing in chairs now) and something with good casters on it. I have lower back issues and sit in my chair for periods of time that no human should subject themselves to, but I have to pay those bills. I have no requirement for mesh and frankly, I don't like how it wears over time. My ME7ERG is creating pressure points now that it's starting to sag and its quite unpleasant now. Something high quality with good durability is a must. I am fairly large at 6' 230lbs. Super narrow chairs like that first one that Corsair did are right out given that they are horribly uncomfortable.

Something with a head rest, be it adjustable or not is a must. I hated not having one on the Herman Miller.

I've been in the market for chairs myself as my 14 year old chair is coming to its end of life.

Secret Labs is the company I keep coming back to. They ain't cheap but I haven't really found any bad reviews of them. They have some really cool designs.

The only problem is that everything on their site says "pre-order." My need is more immediate than that. I'd love to go with a Secretlabs Titan, but it looks like I'd have to wait the bulk of 30 days to get one. That would be a long and painful 30 days to wait.

I've been looking hard at the Humanscale Freedom chair for a few years now. When I've sat in it, it's been pretty comfortable but it's also outside your current budget.

One of the biggest problem is that I've sat in very few of the options on the market. None of these gaming chairs or newer office chair designs existed last time I bought one. I've sat in a few back when Kyle was doing reviews of them, but only one or two of those I liked all that well. Noblechairs, was good. I sat in two of their models but don't recall which one.

Availability seems like its **** on those too. I see a ton of online video and written reviews of chairs. All of which are retarded. They seem to evaluate them after about five minutes of use. Or they are the wrong size and body shape for the chairs they are reviewing.

Makes me want to review chairs.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I love my Vertagear SL5000. I've had it now for 2 years and it shows zero signs of wear, and the cushion material is still like the day I bought it. It's stiff, but gives just enough to be comfortable while not breaking down or squishing out. I sit in this thing for 8-16 hours 5-6 days a week.

I'm 5'11 and was 215 lbs, down to 190 now. And the seat is a bit narrow, but never did I think it was too narrow. That being said they do offer the PL4500 and PL6000 which is wider.

Mine came with cheap plastic casters that I immediately replaced with a set of rollerblade style casters from Amazon. I don't have experience with their Penta casters.

Link to my unboxing, build and initial review:

https://hardforum.com/threads/vertagear-sl5000-unboxing-build.1966464/

Thank you. That's a good read. That chair came up in my search as well and I was curious as I hadn't heard of the brand.

I'm a pretty big guy (6' 3" 250lbs) and I find it hard to find a chair that fits me well and can last. I hurt my back a few years back moving a portion of a tree and sitting for a period of time would cause me pain in the wrong chair. I know you mentioned you don't like the "office" style chairs, but I found one at Staples that I use currently and like it a lot. https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedi...s-Black-Black-TP7000-RAV-COAL/product_1539761

Have you tried looking at sites like https://nationalofficeinteriors.com/#? A lot of office furniture resellers have showrooms where you can try out a bunch of chairs. I went to a warehouse run by the linked site and it was quite a shock just how much basically new furniture is available because a business went belly up. They don't typically have gaming style chairs but it's a quick way to rule out even some of the higher end manufacturers to help narrow your search if you don't find something you like.

Have you tried looking at sites like https://nationalofficeinteriors.com/#? A lot of office furniture resellers have showrooms where you can try out a bunch of chairs. I went to a warehouse run by the linked site and it was quite a shock just how much basically new furniture is available because a business went belly up. They don't typically have gaming style chairs but it's a quick way to rule out even some of the higher end manufacturers to help narrow your search if you don't find something you like.

Thanks for that. That's a very good idea.

Also, I'm not 100% sold on gaming chairs. I'm fine with a good office chair provided its comfortable, adjustable and well made.

I will say, along with Niner51, the Serta and Tempur-Pedic chairs aren't bad for run of the mill OfficeMax fair.

I wouldn't necessarily put them in the same class as some of the recommendations here - more like a decent $200ish "budget" option.

I ordered the Secretlabs Titan. Unfortunately, it won't ship until the end of August. I may buy something local and cheaper in the interim. I need another chair in another room anyway.

I ordered the Secretlabs Titan. Unfortunately, it won't ship until the end of August. I may buy something local and cheaper in the interim. I need another chair in another room anyway.

I've been looking into one of these as I am thinking of moving my current chair into the wifes office.

Update on the chair: I ordered the Secret Labs Titan, Dark Knight Edition back in late July. As you may or may not know, Secret Labs fulfills these orders in waves. Oddly, I got my chair just over a week ago, which was a complete surprise to me. I bought the chair direct from the company, and communication was pretty lackluster, but I got the chair weeks ahead of schedule, so I couldn't be more pleased on that front.

I will be doing a review on this chair in a similar fashion, to what Kyle did on HardOCP. I am going to use the chair exclusively for 30 days and report my feelings on the chair. Hopefully, it may lead to us covering more chairs in the future, but this seemed like a no brainer as it was something I was buying anyway, so it didn't cost us anything extra to do.

Initial impressions are good, but I'll save the specifics for the review.

I will say, along with Niner51, the Serta and Tempur-Pedic chairs aren't bad for run of the mill OfficeMax fair.

I wouldn't necessarily put them in the same class as some of the recommendations here - more like a decent $200ish "budget" option.

Yeah I got a Serta Beautyrest chair from Staples for like $150 after coupon? It's huge but it's got butt padding which is rare nowadays. Plus it will recline and lock for short nap sessions. I wouldn't sleep all night though, it's an office chair, not a lazy boy recliner.

I'm not a huge dude but I have some lower back sciatica and tailbone issues. I gots to have proper butt padding that lasts. Most of the chairs nowadays at Staples etc become intolerable after a month or 2. I've used this one for a year, and that's including the 7 months or so of nonstop Covid WFH.

That sounds like an amazing office/gaming chair @Burticus (y)

I might have to look into something like that. I, as well as you, find most of the modern office chairs to be a POS after a couple of months. My a$$ needs some padding. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Become a Patron!
Back