PC Power & Cooling

BWG

n00b
I've had one PSU from them for over 10 years now. I decided to give a new one a whirl because 750w isn't going to cut it. I picked up a 1050 Modular Platinum one from them for a fairly low price vs the competition. Anyone know how their build quality is these days?

FPS1050-A5M00
https://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/product/silencer-1050/

No idea. They were bought by OCZ as I recall. I don't know who owns them now.

Reactions: BWG
No idea who owns that branding, or who is making the PSUs. Lots of good OEMs out there though, so it'd take more research.

And if 750W isn't 'cutting it', you have some problems on your hand ;)

Reactions: BWG
And if 750W isn't 'cutting it', you have some problems on your hand ;)
I would normally agree with you, but with Intel CPUs pulling over 250W, and almost all the GPUs that you can't buy are 200+ --- with all of that at stock... I can see 750 starting to look tight, especially if you want to go start tweaking clocks and voltages.

I'd long just had the philosophy of buying 600-650W PSUs, knowing it could support mild overclocks and age-related degredation pretty comfortably. But that was when CPUs were 65-90W, and a decent GPU might hit 200W stock. My last couple of builds I've started to creep upward to 750 just to keep a margin there.

No idea. They were bought by OCZ as I recall. I don't know who owns them now.

Sold the brand name to FirePower. Reviewed some after FirePower bought them. Same stuff that was being made under the OCZ brand. Not the same as before the OCZ aquisition.

Well, it's been crunching in a PC for a week. The power plug is just like the other one I had, so that was promising. I think I actually like it. We'll see on the longevity piece over time, but it has a hybrid fan etc. Pretty nifty unit. Very quiet even when loaded.

Become a Patron!
Back