Petition to Cancel Assassin’s Creed Shadows Over “Lack of Historical Accuracy and Respect” Draws More than 30,000 Signatures

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Assassin's Creed Shadows, a new installment of the historical action-adventure stealth series from Ubisoft that takes place in feudal Japan and introduces two new protagonists, including what is said to be the franchise's first Assassin to be based on a real-life character—Yasuke—should be canceled, according to a new change.org petition from Japan that is calling out the game's "lack of historical accuracy and cultural respect."

See full article...

These types of petitions are not binding, they are just an outlet for the voices of criticism, since all other avenues are industry controlled. The official forums directly by the publishers, and the media by their lackeys, who will do anything to remain in their good graces and be invited for early access and press events.

If you are not allowed to complain on the official forums because they instantly delete it, and not allowed to complain under articles, what can you do? Make a petition.

It's a game, why does it need to be historically accurate
Because that was a thing for the assassins creed franchise for a very long time. Even having explored modes to visit and get facts about places and people of interest that did exist without the game embellishments.

Ubisoft and their lapdogs are the ones insisting this is historically accurate. The most insane part is that as soon as the game was revealed activists started editing the wikipedia page of Yasuke to be in line with the game. They are falsifying history in real time.

It is also an insult to everyone who wanted a game set in Japan, but especially the Japanese. Imagine the cancel mob if things were reversed. Ubisoft decided to create a game set in tribal Africa, but they make the protagonist an Asian, who didn't belong to any tribe.

Maybe I'm weird, but games are fantasy to me, like reading fiction, it can be anything it wants. I don't play games to learn historical accurate history. I went to school for that.

Ubisoft and their lapdogs are the ones insisting this is historically accurate. The most insane part is that as soon as the game was revealed activists started editing the wikipedia page of Yasuke to be in line with the game. They are falsifying history in real time.

It is also an insult to everyone who wanted a game set in Japan, but especially the Japanese. Imagine the cancel mob if things were reversed. Ubisoft decided to create a game set in tribal Africa, but they make the protagonist an Asian, who didn't belong to any tribe.
Who ****ing cares?! Neither scenario has any bearing on the real world, it's a fictional video game loosely based on historical events. The longer this goes on the dumber it gets.

Wikipedia is not, nor has it ever been, a reliable or accurate source for anything. I also have a hard time believing Ubisoft has an army of activists at their disposal just waiting to do the companies bidding... outside of the marketing department anyway. Thankfully, for those who are actually interested in real Japanese history and who have IQs above 35, there are still plenty of far more accurate sources of data than Wikipedia.

Maybe I'm weird, but games are fantasy to me, like reading fiction, it can be anything it wants. I don't play games to learn historical accurate history. I went to school for that.
You can tell that to Ubisoft who insist this is historically accurate.
Who ****ing cares?! Neither scenario has any bearing on the real world, it's a fictional video game loosely based on historical events. The longer this goes on the dumber it gets.
I care. Not about the historical accuracy, but about not getting gaslit. I don't give a flying duck about the historical accuracy of games as long as they are being honest about it being made up. But I really don't like when they roll out the bingo card. You're gonna like it or else you are insert bad thing from the bingo card.
Wikipedia is not, nor has it ever been, a reliable or accurate source for anything. I also have a hard time believing Ubisoft has an army of activists at their disposal just waiting to do the companies bidding... outside of the marketing department anyway. Thankfully, for those who are actually interested in real Japanese history and who have IQs above 35, there are still plenty of far more accurate sources of data than Wikipedia.
The point is the lengths they are willing to go to to justify it. Just because I can look up real history doesn't mean I appreciate being lied to.
I won't buy this game on principle alone. Companies who view customers with contempt don't deserve any customers.

When the first question marks appeared about this choice, they didn't say, oh look, this is just fantasy and we made a great character and we can't wait for you to play it. No they said, STFU, this is actually historical fact and if you don't like it you are just racist.

Uuuuhhh, have ANY of the games in this series been historically accurate? Were people expecting this one to be?!

Neither scenario has any bearing on the real world, it's a fictional video game loosely based on historical events. The longer this goes on the dumber it gets.
Yes, exactly, all of this. Good grief.

Become a Patron!
Back