Phil Spencer: Xbox “Too Light on Games” in 2022, but 2023 Should Be Big

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Xbox critics have regularly argued that Xbox doesn't have enough games, and Microsoft's own CEO of gaming appears to be in agreement. Speaking to IGN in a new interview on the heels of last week's Developer Direct showcase, Phil Spencer mentioned that Xbox could have had a better 2022, taking blame for what was evidently a lack of great and steady releases on Xbox last year. That said, the executive teased that 2023 should be much better thanks to the availability of highly anticipated titles that include Starfield, Bethesda's upcoming space-faring RPG.

See full article...

As much as I hate exclusives, those are what sell. Part of why Sony did so well during 8th-gen is cuz they killed it on exclusives. There's nothing pulling people to Xbox consoles. For those people who only roll Xbox and do not have a gaming-grade PC or any other consoles, then I guess they do all their gaming on Xbox, get all the multiplatform releases on Xbox, and something like GamePass seems appealing to them. I do appreciate that Microsoft games also come out on PC, and I'm happy that Sony games are coming out on PC too now. But really the main draw of choosing one console over another is the exclusive games you can play on that console. Microsoft has few exclusives, even less that are noteworthy. If you're not interested in GamePass (which is also available on PC) and you have a decent PC, why bother with any of the 8th-gen or 9th-gen Xboxes? Games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves are not gonna get the gamer masses running to stores to snatch up any Xboxes they can. 8th-gen and 9th-gen so far have been a Sony+Nintendo market, and then there's just Microsoft over there on the side, hoping you'll toss them a bone. Microsoft owns some new studios now, they got Zenimax/Bethesda and they're working on Activision-Blizzard. Maybe they can use IPs from those companies to draw people in to their Xbox ecosystem. I doubt it though. Funny, they won the 7th-gen console generation, and then from that point on they've basically been a joke.

As much as I hate exclusives, those are what sell. Part of why Sony did so well during 8th-gen is cuz they killed it on exclusives. There's nothing pulling people to Xbox consoles. For those people who only roll Xbox and do not have a gaming-grade PC or any other consoles, then I guess they do all their gaming on Xbox, get all the multiplatform releases on Xbox, and something like GamePass seems appealing to them. I do appreciate that Microsoft games also come out on PC, and I'm happy that Sony games are coming out on PC too now. But really the main draw of choosing one console over another is the exclusive games you can play on that console. Microsoft has few exclusives, even less that are noteworthy. If you're not interested in GamePass (which is also available on PC) and you have a decent PC, why bother with any of the 8th-gen or 9th-gen Xboxes? Games like Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves are not gonna get the gamer masses running to stores to snatch up any Xboxes they can. 8th-gen and 9th-gen so far have been a Sony+Nintendo market, and then there's just Microsoft over there on the side, hoping you'll toss them a bone. Microsoft owns some new studios now, they got Zenimax/Bethesda and they're working on Activision-Blizzard. Maybe they can use IPs from those companies to draw people in to their Xbox ecosystem. I doubt it though. Funny, they won the 7th-gen console generation, and then from that point on they've basically been a joke.
MS gaming is much larger than just the consoles. Sure the consoles need some love but every windows PC with a Xbox gaming overlay (most all of them) that can play the pc games (a lot of them.) are all part of the gaming market that Microsoft is leveraging. I don't think they really care over much if people are gaming on an xbox or on a PC, AND I think that has been VERY good for the PC gaming side of the world. As long as they keep games coming out exclusively for the Windows PC/Xbox and money coming in they will be just fine.

Become a Patron!
Back