Piracy Causes a 20% Drop in Game Revenue, Denuvo DRM Research Finds

Boardrooms were always a thing
DEI has always been a thing too, it's just had different names over the years.

This quote is from 20 years ago, but still rings true. And it goes back waaay before that even.

Political correctness is mostly just speech, DEI is putting it into practice. You just wasn't allowed to mention inconvenient truths, now you have to actively pretend those facts are not true.

Political correctness is mostly just speech, DEI is putting it into practice. You just wasn't allowed to mention inconvenient truths, now you have to actively pretend those facts are not true.
Tomato - towmahtoe

I think they count downloads not even installs.

I truly couldn't afford games in the 90s and early 2000s in Eastern Europe because they cost the equivalent of 2 weeks minimum wage.
You can't convert people into paying customers with DRM who can't afford to pay for games.

You also can't convert habitual pirates who just download everything and might not even try the game.

There are so few good and interesting games today that money is really not the issue. I often pay for the deluxe / ultimate / whatever edition of games that look really good. Because there is maybe one or two games like that in a year, if we're lucky.

IDK what happened to the gaming industry, there used to be so many great games. On second thought: I do know what's happened: DEI.
Well there is a lot more that's come into play than DEI.

The short version is that the games industry has effectively ended up mirroring Hollywood in a number of ways. Sure, the DEI crap is one of the biggest issues that's plaguing them but before that they had what I call MCU syndrome. After the success of MCU movies from the early 2010's onward, it seems Hollywood wouldn't green light anything that didn't have the potential to make a billion dollars at the box office. The problem with this thinking is that it essentially created a market where there were rarely anything but comic book based movies coming out and even those projects were all designed to make a billion dollars or more whether they did or not.

It's the same thing in the gaming industry. Instead of chasing MCU money, they are World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Fortnite or Call of Duty levels of money. As with movies, this is easier said than done. Live-service and MMO type models are the most lucrative, so that's what a lot of companies have focused on to the point where single-player games are a rare sight in the AAA world. They don't just want to sell you a game, they want to sell you on content drops and quick dopamine hits that get you spending far more money in the long run than you ever would on a single-player game.

Essentially, the developers are all looking to cash in on what industry leaders have already done and a lot of design decisions are driven by monetization considerations above all else. This is even a factor in single player games now. Even with single player games, its all about chasing trends. Open world games were super popular. It didn't matter whether or not it would benefit gameplay or the story. So many if not most games started to go with open-world designs. Those are huge and expensive to do. For every game like Ghost Recon Wildlands that benefited from the open-world model, there are many Mass Effect Andromeda's that didn't.

You also have a problem with companies going with tried and true formulas they are afraid to change. That's how you get your annual sports releases and your Assassins Creed games and Call of Duty games. They are milking those franchises dry and as long as they make money, they'll keep selling you the same game over and over again with a fresh coat of paint on it.

I could get into how the quality has slipped, but that's another very long post. I think we can agree that the quality of games seems to be getting worse. In part, that's due to the complexity of games and their sheer size. However, its also because of hiring decisions, too many separate studios, and a number of other issues. Including hiring activists in studios which hasn't helped. Some of that is DEI infestation and some of it comes down to game studios not wanting to upset the blue haired Twitter whackos. They water everything down so as not to offend anyone and end up pleasing no one to put it simply.

I could write a lot more on the topic, but I'll leave it at that for now.

There are a lot more factors, yes but nothing was nearly as bad for gaming as political correctness / DEI.

We heard publishers moping about sales not meeting expectations, but we still got a steady supply of good single player games until the mid 2010s.

I don't have a problem with tried and true formulas, the best games have already been invented, it is not necessary to deviate from those formulas. I'm fine with getting a new immersive sim like System Shock 2, or a new action adventure like Tomb Raider, or heck a good RTS, good turn based strategy, anything please. No need to reinvent the wheel.

But when I look at modern games like Dragon Age Veilguard I loose the will to live. And this is not because games are simply lower quality, but because of their design philosophy. Instead of considering what is fun, the consideration is what is the least offensive to "modern audiences".

This trend started in 2014, but by the 2020s it almost completely pushed out all other considerations. Games have only one purpose: Not be offensive to any minority or religion (except to Christianity and those evil white men)

The bugs and glitches in games are partly caused by increased complexity, but that is not my main concern. If a game is repulsive by nature and has bad storytelling and irritating ugly characters then the bugs won't even matter. Regardless DEI is partly responsible for the bugs as well, by hiring (and promoting) on checkboxes and not merit.

So to sum it up gaming had its struggles before, but all of that is dwarfed by the negative effects of DEI.

The short version is that the games industry has effectively ended up mirroring Hollywood in a number of ways. Sure, the DEI crap is one of the biggest issues that's plaguing them but before that they had what I call MCU syndrome. After the success of MCU movies from the early 2010's onward, it seems Hollywood wouldn't green light anything that didn't have the potential to make a billion dollars at the box office. The problem with this thinking is that it essentially created a market where there were rarely anything but comic book based movies coming out and even those projects were all designed to make a billion dollars or more whether they did or not.

It's the same thing in the gaming industry. Instead of chasing MCU money, they are World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Fortnite or Call of Duty levels of money. As with movies, this is easier said than done. Live-service and MMO type models are the most lucrative, so that's what a lot of companies have focused on to the point where single-player games are a rare sight in the AAA world. They don't just want to sell you a game, they want to sell you on content drops and quick dopamine hits that get you spending far more money in the long run than you ever would on a single-player game.

Essentially, the developers are all looking to cash in on what industry leaders have already done and a lot of design decisions are driven by monetization considerations above all else. This is even a factor in single player games now. Even with single player games, its all about chasing trends. Open world games were super popular. It didn't matter whether or not it would benefit gameplay or the story. So many if not most games started to go with open-world designs. Those are huge and expensive to do. For every game like Ghost Recon Wildlands that benefited from the open-world model, there are many Mass Effect Andromeda's that didn't.

You also have a problem with companies going with tried and true formulas they are afraid to change. That's how you get your annual sports releases and your Assassins Creed games and Call of Duty games. They are milking those franchises dry and as long as they make money, they'll keep selling you the same game over and over again with a fresh coat of paint on it.

I could get into how the quality has slipped, but that's another very long post. I think we can agree that the quality of games seems to be getting worse. In part, that's due to the complexity of games and their sheer size. However, its also because of hiring decisions, too many separate studios, and a number of other issues. Including hiring activists in studios which hasn't helped. Some of that is DEI infestation and some of it comes down to game studios not wanting to upset the blue haired Twitter whackos. They water everything down so as not to offend anyone and end up pleasing no one to put it simply.

I could write a lot more on the topic, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I don't share your hate for DEI. I mean, there are definitely cases when it has been done wrong (black Nazi soldiers in WWII anyone? Lolwut? They would have thrown them in a concentration camp...) but where it otherwise doesn't harm historical accuracy and/or immersion I think it is a positive for people to be able to identify with game characters who look like they do. It probably also boosts sales to people who can play characters like themselves.

In some cases it can even improve immersion, as the characters and environment feel more lifelike and alive, as they represent the people you seen in the real world.

But yeah, often it is done wrong, and when it is done wrong it is terrible.

That said, the rest of this I think is spot on.

The kind of money that subscription MMORPG's and F2P lootbox multiplayer FPS games have made has contaminated the industry. No one wants to go to their investors/publishers and tell them "yeah, this massive billion dollar game genre exists, but we are going for the small money instead". And that ruins everything.

where it otherwise doesn't harm historical accuracy and/or immersion
If it doesn't hurt the game then it is probably not woke. Woke is not when there are other than straight white male characters. We had more diversity in games before the woke ideology took hold.
I think it is a positive for people to be able to identify with game characters who look like they do. It probably also boosts sales to people who can play characters like themselves.
It's not how the character looks but their backstory and experiences people relate to. Unless they are actual racist or narcissistic individuals, but details details. I definitely don't want characters in games to look like me, it would be weird.
In some cases it can even improve immersion, as the characters and environment feel more lifelike and alive, as they represent the people you seen in the real world.
Unless a game is set in San Francisco 2024 It shouldn't have the demographic composition of San Francisco 2024. Because that would be historically inaccurate. History is not just ancient times, yesterday is also history, or even today and tomorrow. If you made a game set in China 5 years from now it shouldn't have 33% black, 33% latin, and 33% asian characters. It should have 99% Chinese.
Give me one example where it is woke but done right.
The kind of money that subscription MMORPG's and F2P lootbox multiplayer FPS games have made has contaminated the industry. No one wants to go to their investors/publishers and tell them "yeah, this massive billion dollar game genre exists, but we are going for the small money instead". And that ruins everything.
History has repeatedly shown that you can break the bank with quality single player games. The question is not whether you go big or small money. But whether you want to bet all your money on something that has a million to one chance to be the next WOW or do you want to bet your money on a single player game that is guaranteed to sell 10 million copies if done right.

I don't share your hate for DEI. I mean, there are definitely cases when it has been done wrong (black Nazi soldiers in WWII anyone? Lolwut? They would have thrown them in a concentration camp...) but where it otherwise doesn't harm historical accuracy and/or immersion I think it is a positive for people to be able to identify with game characters who look like they do. It probably also boosts sales to people who can play characters like themselves.
Organic and natural diversity is NOT DEI. Let's make that abundantly clear. The 1987 film Predator stars an extremely diverse cast of characters. No one had a problem with that. In the setting and context of the film the diversity was organic. It also didn't matter if the cast belonged to one ethnic group or another.

However, the Witcher TV series is set in a version of medieval Poland where the diversity doesn't make sense. The overwhelming majority of people in medieval Poland would have been white. Also, many characters had physical descriptions in the novels and they were changed for "modern audiences" and for no other reason.

The demographics of 2024 New York or Los Angeles is not the same as what you'd see in medieval times. or the ancient world.
It only does so when it makes sense. If you set a movie or game in 2024 New York city and everyone was black or white, it would break immersion. Similarly, medieval England would be primarily white and parts of Africa would have been almost exclusively black.
DEI is FORCED diversity. It's diversity where it doesn't make sense. It's not equitable as it favors specific "marginalized" groups and its not inclusive by nature. It's exclusive.
This isn't entirely true, though I made the point earlier that this thinking is a problem. I agree it is, but single player games still get made, just not as many as their used to be. Though even then, they really try and monetize those beyond buying the game or releasing proper expansions. The Jedi Survivor games, a lot of Ubisoft titles, etc.

Give me one example where it is woke but done right.

I can't.

I remember participating in plenty of forum discussions over the years with people complaining about woke/DEI characteristics about various games movies and TV shows. Some of them I agreed with, as they weren't historically accurate, or regionally accurate for the story the game/film/tv show was trying to tell. Others where they gender and/or race bended the character from its original version also annoyed me, at least where there wasn't some weird "alternate universe" explanation, or something like that that explained it.

But there have been others where I've been like "huh, I watched that show, or played that game, and I didn't notice anything off along DEI/woke lines at all". That said, as of right now I can't for the life of me remember what they were. If I spent some time searching these and the Hardforums and possibly elsewhere I could probably tell you what they were, but that would be a huge time sink, and I just don't have time for that right now.

Sometimes maybe - in the less obvious cases - it might simply depend on your background and experiences if something seems "woke" or not. I've lived all my life around strong women in leadership positions. My mother was one. So seeing them in film or in games never seemed unrealistic or off to me.

I also knew many gay, some lesbian (but no trans) people in college. So seeing them depicted in games and on TV or in film also does not stand out to me, unless it is a period piece where a flamboyant person totally would have been sent to the gas chambers already, and it totally breaks immersion.

My circle is not as racially diverse as many, but I have worked and did go to school with people of other ethnicity and backgrounds, so those rarely stand out to me either (again, unless they break the immersion of a period piece)

I've definitely also seen things go the opposite way though, where white people in costume and with makeup were chosen to play ethnically diverse characters, and that irks me just as much as immersion breaking forced diversity.

Again, woke / DEI is NOT the same as organic diversity. One stands out as its forced and out of place. The other doesn't raise flags because its normal and representative of whatever geographic location and time period the story takes place in.

There have been shows that were supposedly woke or DEI infused that really aren't. I think people are so gun shy of that garbage that they've become hypersensitive to it. Simply having a gay character doesn't make a show "woke" on its own.

Again, woke / DEI is NOT the same as organic diversity. One stands out as its forced and out of place. The other doesn't raise flags because its normal and representative of whatever geographic location and time period the story takes place in.

I like that distinction, but that is not how people who use those terms in earnest typically define them.

There have been shows that were supposedly woke or DEI infused that really aren't. I think people are so gun shy of that garbage that they've become hypersensitive to it. Simply having a gay character doesn't make a show "woke" on its own.

Agreed,

I like that distinction, but that is not how people who use those terms in earnest typically define them.
That's often what the DEI proponents say as they hide behind the excuse of "if you are against DEI you are racist / bigot / ist / phobe" or whatever. This isn't true. A lot of critics on Youtube that complain about this stuff I've seen are calling it where its appropriate for the most part. Admittedly, this isn't the case 100% of the time but I see it being called correctly most of the time.

It's not hard to figure out in most cases. It's obvious when you have an ethnic group or openly gay characters represented in parts of the world decades or centuries before the modern era. Most people weren't openly gay / lesbian or transgender prior to the last 20 years or so. Anytime before that just doesn't make sense.

An example of this would be the Supernatural Spinoff: The Winchester's. The series takes place in a small town located in Kansas in the 1970's. Yet, they have a lot of ethnic representation and openly gay and bisexual characters. Despite making the show look authentic otherwise, the dialog of the characters and this focus on representation hurt the show as it prevents suspension of disbelief on the part of any viewer that wasn't born after the year 2000.

Different shows and games have different tells for promoting their identity politics and political ideologies but the biggest thing DEI infused woke garbage all have in common is bad writing. It's because they push the "message" first and behind the scenes, they hire people based on criteria other than merit who are all activists first and writers/producers/directors etc. second.

Ubisoft's upcoming game: Assassin's Creed Shadows is a woke / DEI infused mess and we have a lot of evidence to support that prior to the game's release. For one thing, they made the primary protagonist a black male. Both are gay or bisexual or something. First off, the real person the main protagonist is based on was never a real samurai and he wouldn't have been openly gay even if he had been.

This is a consequence of hiring young, unskilled activists as creatives. Simply put, these people are fan-fiction level when it comes to their writing capability. You see a lot of self-insert characters and political activism rather than the work of professionals who are out to tell a story, do a good job and get paid.

That's often what the DEI proponents say as they hide behind the excuse of "if you are against DEI you are racist / bigot / ist / phobe" or whatever. This isn't true. A lot of critics on Youtube that complain about this stuff I've seen are calling it where its appropriate for the most part. Admittedly, this isn't the case 100% of the time but I see it being called correctly most of the time.
DEI has also poisoned the well, now the audience is rightfully skeptical when they see "diverse" characters in games or on TV. You can't help but wonder if it is a DEI casting or meaningful creative decision. Or if the actor was hired on merit or something else. So in essence non-white characters and female protagonists are less accepted now than they were before the woke agenda infected everything.

I've seen people push back at the mere mention of a female protag in a game. In some fringe case it might be that they are actually sexist, but in most they are just jaded and not against having the female character per se, but against the expected woke baggage: all sex appeal removed, trans friendly design, girlboss, mary sue, etc.

If the woke weirdos had any merit to what they assert then why was GTA:San Andreas or Blade universally loved?
This is some weird racism we suffer from that only manifests itself when the writing is bad. Almost as if it is not racism at all. /s

They literally hold up non-white characters as shields against criticism while calling us racist.

Putting aside this DEI discussion, which ... ok I get one guy really really really doesn't like it.

I kinda just really realized the headline was piracy causes a drop in ~revenue~

Before I was just thinking sales count. But that isn't the same thing.

So a game releases for $70. 4 months later it's on sale for $50. A year later it's on sale for $30

I guess their claim is that piracy eats into those early, high margin sales figures - you don't need a high loss rate to really erode the revenue quickly when the margin is so high.

So DRM doesn't need to salvage 20% of all sales, it just needs to salvage a small percentage of those early sales. Or at least pretend it is.

I would counter that argument with.. well, if you just released the game at a bit lower price in the first place, you probably would have made up way more in those initial sales that you lost in Cost of DRM + lost sales opportunity via ~both~ piracy and people who are passing over your game because the price tag is just too **** high and don't go back to pick it up when the sales hit.

But those are all really hard numbers to prove in any meaningful way. Just like you can't really prove what a game would have done without DRM if you have it, and what it would have done with DRM had it not - by looking at piracy data and trying to extrapolate.

DEI has also poisoned the well, now the audience is rightfully skeptical when they see "diverse" characters in games or on TV. You can't help but wonder if it is a DEI casting or meaningful creative decision. Or if the actor was hired on merit or something else. So in essence non-white characters and female protagonists are less accepted now than they were before the woke agenda infected everything.

I've seen people push back at the mere mention of a female protag in a game. In some fringe case it might be that they are actually sexist, but in most they are just jaded and not against having the female character per se, but against the expected woke baggage: all sex appeal removed, trans friendly design, girlboss, mary sue, etc.

If the woke weirdos had any merit to what they assert then why was GTA:San Andreas or Blade universally loved?
This is some weird racism we suffer from that only manifests itself when the writing is bad. Almost as if it is not racism at all. /s

They literally hold up non-white characters as shields against criticism while calling us racist.
I agree 100%

Become a Patron!
Back