Planning New SFF Build+Sanity Check

Xcite

n00b
I am looking to build a new Gaming SFF PC this Holiday Season. I just want to put this out there and I'm looking for comments/suggestions on some things to consider or tweak, or just if it's a bad idea.

Things that are important to me for this build:
* Quiet - my computer is in my family room and it needs to be near silent
* Small - Currently have a mid tower, looking to downsize greatly
* Powerful - I have a decent budget, so I want to pack as much power as I can into this small build

Things not important:
* RGB - don't care for it, will turn it off if any component has it.

My planned parts rundown:

* Coolermaster NR200 - love the look and size of this case - concerned about SFX power supply placement
* Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
* AMD 5900X
* Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
* G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL15 Memory Factory overclocked 1.5V 15-16-16-36
* AMD 6800XT
* SAMSUNG 980 Pro NVME M.2 GEN 4 500 GB - OS DRIVE
* SABRENT ROCKET 4.0 NVME M.2 GEN 4 1 TB - GAME DRIVE
* CRUCIAL MX500 SSD - 2 TB - XTRA STORAGE
* NOT DECIDED - 750W SFX POWER SUPPLY (TITANIUM OR PLATINUM)
* VARIOUS NOCTUA FAN REPLACEMENTS

Does this sound doable? I'm slightly concerned about the Power Supply. I really want Seasonic but they don't have a 750W SFX for sale and stock on just about all of them is really low anyway. Also... memory. I think it's assumed 4000 MHZ is the butter zone for the 5000 series chips right? That ram mentioned is $169 for 16 GB but no guarantee I will hit that with the XMP profile.... so I'm open to suggestions/criticisms.

Quiet and powerful is your biggest challenge with a SFF system.

Make a custom loop, if youre serious about noise/performance.
Run everything stock to keep heat and noise down.
Stop packing that small case smack full of stuff you dont need, like 3 drives..use a network drive somewhere else for storage.
Titanium or Platinum wont make any difference in a PSU , a Gold is fine too.
If you game at 4K, you have no need for a 5900X. 8 cores lower TDP is fine.

The more heat you can eliminate with well chosen components, the quieter you can make it.

So a Titanium or Platinum won't make a difference? Are they not more efficient? Do they not run cooler? Doesn't the fan on the Seasonic for example, not run until it's under a more heavy load, and it just slowly speeds up based on the load? Wouldn't that help with the overall heat profile?

Yeah, I'm kind of torn between the 5800X and the 5900X, I do NOT plan to OC. Same TDP but the 5900X has double the onboard cache for just 4 more cores, which is very nice, and 100 dollars difference between the two. Shouldn't that equate into better single core performance more than just a clock bump?

Any modern quality PSU Gold or above will do you fine.

80plusratings.jpg

If youre gaming at 4K60 you would be fine with a 3600X. My RTX2070 runs out of steam long before my 2700.
I intend to keep using the 2700 for a while with a 3080/90 as well, 4K60.

Become a Patron!
Back