PlayStation 5 Launching November 20, 2020 for $499, According to Leaker

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PlayStation fans may have to pony up a little more cash for Sony's next console. According to Twitter user PSErebus, who recently leaked The Last of Us: Part II's release date before Naughty Dog's official announcement, the PS5 will be released on November 20, 2020 for $499. That's a $100 increase from the current generation, which may be dissapointing to some gamers -- but at least it's not as bad as the 60 GB PS3's $599 price tag.

Earlier there was talk of a launch on December 4, 2020. However, this is illogical according to the Twitterer, because the 25th anniversary of the PlayStation ends December 2, 2020. Then comes the 26th year. Sony would like to launch the PlayStation 5 before that time.

If all the leaked specs match this then I'd say that's a decent buy for all the tech in it. I've got a 4k player that's around 2 years old already getting grumpy with some of my BD's so I'll probably get this as a replacement if true.

Reactions: _k_
Doesn't matter what the launch price of any console is, I always wait years until the prices get to acceptable levels. I keep my consoles for life, so I don't mind waiting as long as takes until the prices are no longer the equivalent of Bubba and his escaped prison friends cornering me in an alley, ready to go to town on my ***.

I keep my consoles for life
So far I've only had 3 that I have some regrets with letting go of.

1. An original Atari that I bought used with a box of cartridges back around 81-82. These 1st gens, before they were called VCS, could access hidden parts of games buy flicking certain switches when powering on. Thought it was a fluke at first when I did it with Space Invaders, Defender, and Superman, until I read more about it later in some magazines.

2. Original Sony Playstation before there were changed to PSone. The GPU was actually a little better than the PSone but the PSone had a faster CDrom. Still awaiting someone to remake Star Wars Demolition for modern tech.

3. PS2. Only because I think that Star Wars Bounty Hunter was one of the coolest games ever. Not to mention one of the first, at that time, to offer 480p. I actually got composite cables for mine and used with my first flat screen t.v. Also loved how Gran Turismo would play in 1080i using them.

I am ok with it - the price has never been a big hang up for me insofar as it stays reasonable.

I will buy once exclusives I want to play are out.

I will buy once exclusives I want to play are out.
Yeah, exclusives are the real system sellers. My usual rule for buying a console (aside from waiting for lower prices) is that there needs to be at least 5 really dang good exclusive games on it.

So far I've only had 3 that I have some regrets with letting go of.

1. An original Atari that I bought used with a box of cartridges back around 81-82. These 1st gens, before they were called VCS, could access hidden parts of games buy flicking certain switches when powering on. Thought it was a fluke at first when I did it with Space Invaders, Defender, and Superman, until I read more about it later in some magazines.

2. Original Sony Playstation before there were changed to PSone. The GPU was actually a little better than the PSone but the PSone had a faster CDrom. Still awaiting someone to remake Star Wars Demolition for modern tech.

3. PS2. Only because I think that Star Wars Bounty Hunter was one of the coolest games ever. Not to mention one of the first, at that time, to offer 480p. I actually got composite cables for mine and used with my first flat screen t.v. Also loved how Gran Turismo would play in 1080i using them.
When my family moved to another state in 1989, our first console, my mom's 6-switch Atari 2600, was "lost." I still think about replacing it, but one of my buddies has a pristine one with a ton of games, so I just go to his house when I get the urge to play it. My PS2 Slim no longer reads discs (and the memory card ports have issues reading memory cards), so I've been looking into what to do about that (buy another PS2 or attempt repair). I don't have a PS3 that can run PS2 games, and PS2 emulation isn't perfect and doesn't handle all my games. These are currently the only consoles that I no longer have access to in my own home. Oh, and my original Xbox which my brother-in-law borrowed from me some years back, and now he and my sister have no idea where it is in their house.

My first PS1 (which was hard-modded) had a CD-ROM drive that often wouldn't spin (you could get it going sometimes by spinning the disc by hand and then closing the lid), and the memory card ports stopped working. Sony wanted too much money to repair it, so I ended up buying a new one (sadly this was after they removed the parallel I/O port in the back). Later I just used the PS2 to run PS1 games, and then I switched to emulation (both on PC and on the PS3) for handling PS1 games.

The CPU in my original SNES died some years back, but I have a Super Famicom as backup. Actually one of the traces for the vRAM chip in the SFC is broken, so a buddy of mine is repairing it (he ironically didn't figure this out until after he replaced the vRAM chip itself). In the meantime he let me borrow his Super Famicom. It's been more than a few years now and he has a lot of **** going on in his life, so the wait for my repair shall continue.

The NES I inherited from my mom is still fine, but about a decade ago I did replace the 72-pin cartridge connector in it.

My brother's Genesis 2 has a finicky power port on the back. Gotta weigh it down with something so it makes a connection. Not a big deal though cuz I have a Genesis 1 and a Genesis 3 to use instead.

My first Gamecube (got it on launch day) stopped reading discs for years, and a friend sold me his for cheap. Another friend eventually repaired my first unit. Just needed to adjust the power screw for the laser.

One time my Wii would only boot to black screen and was completely unusable. It's a modded system though, and we had made a NAND backup, so it was easy to restore the system back to working order.

My first Saturn, a USA Model 1, stopped reading discs many years ago. I replaced it with a USA Model 2 and then later a Japanese Model 1, but the original unit was repaired by the same friend who fixed my GCN. Like that system, there was something up with the power for the laser. Now it's good to go.

My Xbox 360 Elite got the dreaded E74 error several years ago, and since the system had long been outta warranty, I had to ****ing pay Microsoft to fix it.

The blu-ray drive in my PS3 died a few years ago. My friend had a launch-day PS3 that died (YLoD), but the blu-ray drive in it was just fine. So I took the drive out of his system, threw it in mine, and everything was cool.

Half the screen on my sister's Game Gear blacked out. I never looked into it. This was a long-*** time ago. Probably could get it repaired, or replace the system, but eh.

My Neo-Geo MVS (a "consolized" MVS that was modified to be able to connect to displays using Composite, S-Video, Component and RGB/SCART cables) had some kind of issue with video memory, but that **** got repaired under warranty (by Analogue Interactive, the company who had been taking Neo-Geo MV-1C arcade boards and converting them into a console-like form factor with a built-in memory card that was 16x the size of original Neo-Geo memory cards).

So yeah those are all the systems I remember having issues with. All the rest of my home and handheld consoles remain in good working order. I do not yet own a PS4 but I been had my eye on a PS4 Pro. Only reason I have an XB1 is cuz I got it as a gift. Otherwise I would have waited for a good price for an XB1X (like a friend of mine who got it from Target for $150 thanks to some kind of system error on Target's end - really wish he had hit me up about that when it happened). My Switch was also a gift. I've had plans to get an NEC TurboDuo (PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 + the CD-ROM add-on together in one unit) for many years, but the prices on those things are too much for me currently. Also got my eye on Analogue's Super Nt and Mega Sg consoles. Kinda hard to get me to spend money on something besides my PC though. 2020 might have a shiny new GPU for me...

Become a Patron!
Back