PlayStation 5 Pro Rumored to Launch Alongside Base Model

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Early PlayStation 5 adopters may not have to worry about a more powerful version coming down the line. According to Japanese journalist Zenji Nishikawa, who overheard some talk during the Computer Entertainment Developers Conference (CEDEC) this month, Sony will launch both the regular PS5 and PS5 Pro on the same day.

Pricing remains unknown, but the Pro version will obviously be more expensive and cater to gamers who want the most powerful hardware. Microsoft is supposedly considering the same tactic for its next Xbox, codenamed Project Scarlett.

As far as the rumor patrol goes, Sony is expected to reveal PlayStation 5 between PlayStation Experience 2019 and the first half of 2020. Microsoft will then follow by fully revealing Project Scarlett, leading to both companies launching their respective next-generation console (or consoles) in fall 2020.

Now the real curious thing is what will the difference be between the Pro and the base model to consumers?

Will the pro provide a better 4k or even 8k gaming experience?

We can be pretty sure that in the next 5 years 1080p will FINALLY become the standard with 4k becoming more wide spread and 8k stepping into the market as the new 'wall tv' resolution of choice.

Consoles will need to keep up with that. Some tech they SHOULD have is the new USB 4.0 format as well as embracing PCIE 4.x connectivity.

Will they have NVME storage? I think they should.

So some differentiators for someone who hasn't looked up the tech.

1. More cpu cores. say 50% more.
2. More GPU 'cores' as well.
3. PCIe NVMe storage as opposed to standard SSD storage.
4. More ports available for connectivity on the console compared to the non pro model.
5. Potential support for more displays.

I think both versions of the device should have USB 4 support (even for displays) as well as a higher speed storage solution.

SAS drives or platter drives should NOT be a thing in the next generation of consoles.

Ram I think should be around 16GB with a seperate 8gb for VRAM. Or if a shared resource 24gb for the standard model and 32gb for the pro (to support higher resolution gaming.)

Your ideas on how you would build the console for the next 5 years?

sooo ...does AMD just get a lump some or do they get a piece of every sale Playstation/Xbox? :unsure:

I'm pretty sure AMD is selling the package to Sony in bulk an like AIB vendors Sony is building the units and selling it. By the time a unit is assembled AMD has already made their money.

I'm more hyped about the SSD than I am anything on PS5.

Become a Patron!
Back