Potential Blu-ray Successor Will Start at 1 TB of Capacity per Disc, Requires $3,000 Drive

I admit it's been a few months since the last time I checked but I have been periodically looking for a new 4K BD player, to replace a dying one, for about 1-2 years now and haven't really seen much from the manufacturers. I think there are only 2 or 3 big names still making them.
Consoles.

Make sure it's the drive version though, because even the drive is going away in those.

...why I hate to see more and more content go to streaming.

If there were a video content service that would allow me to pre-download a premium bitrate file and watch it offline I'd be rather interested. I don't want the weak sauce bitrates you get on streaming services.
I can't stand streaming at all because of the bitrates, and the reliance on an Internet connection. I only roll with blu-ray rips, and the only streaming I do is from local storage.

A video content service that lets you download a high bitrate file for offline viewing, now that is an idea I can get behind. Oh wait, there's already a service like that. It's called Usenet.

I've never once watched a bluray straight from the disk.
Good for you, cuz the load times would have driven you nuts.

Consoles.

Make sure it's the drive version though, because even the drive is going away in those.
Yeah I was gonna say, most people who want a good 4K BD player usually go for the consoles. The Sony and Microsoft 9th-gen consoles support Ultra HD blu-rays, and for the 8th-gen consoles the XB1X and XB1S both support them as well.

Company I used to work for stiill did daily backups with a tape drive where someone needed to rotate the tape out every day that's like 10 years ago, they even still had a win95 machine running as a com device, sure they would have plenty of storage with these discs.

Not all users have huge amounts of data

Tape backups are still very much a thing today for big corps / banks / etc. And tape capacity has gotten insane, LTO9 holds like 40-50tb a tape nowadays. For cold storage, hard to beat it. Cloud is convenient but not cheap. I used to manage tape libraries at a financial and had to crawl inside the things whenever a tape would not load properly or the robot hand sometimes would just fling the tape for no reason. Like these Storagetek Powderhorns we used (we called them Powderkegs LOL)

1674158508445.png

1674158530001.png

Holy shizbot - looks like the inside of a jet turbine.

Not sure I would crawl in there.

gas-turbine-engine-helicopter-view-inside-the-engine-compressor-combustion-chamber-and-turbine-exhibit-paris-france-W7J5ME.jpg

Holy shizbot - looks like the inside of a jet turbine.

Not sure I would crawl in there.

Believe it or not, I have crawled into relatively large power generation turbines for inspection of key areas during overhaul. Obviously (I would hope) the rotor and other parts were removed to facilitate inspection. But the inspections were tedious and exacting because there are a lot of really small but sharp parts in there.

Believe it or not, I have crawled into relatively large power generation turbines for inspection of key areas during overhaul. Obviously (I would hope) the rotor and other parts were removed to facilitate inspection. But the inspections were tedious and exacting because there are a lot of really small but sharp parts in there.

Really makes you appreciate Lock Out Tag Out procedures, I bet :p

Become a Patron!
Back