Power Supplies Featuring Two 12V-2×6 Connectors Spark Rumors That NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 Will Require Two of The 600W Connectors

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Multiple power supplies featuring two 12V-2x6 (aka 12VHPWR 2.0) connectors have some wondering if NVIDIA's next flagship GPU will require them. NVIDIA would not be the first to include two of the connectors on one of its graphics cards as GALAX released a HOF RTX 4090 with two of them and a PSU for it back in 2022. Now, following their recent tour of MSI's factory in Shenzhen, China, Tweaktown has reported on two MSI PSU models featuring dual 12V-2x6 connectors and they were told they were to support next-gen GPUs.

See full article...

I honestly hope that's just power supply makers getting ahead of the AI compute demand curve coming.
I truly feel this is what's happening but I don't know for sure. I could see custom cards with them though since that can be a thing.

I mean maybe for a 5090 Titan with 48gb of vram or something to that effect?

If there is going to be a Titan slotted above the 5090, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 connectors. High power 5090s like the old EVGA Kingpin would be another candidate

There were units with two 12VHPWR (the preceding design) connectors as well.

I'd expect these to be targeted more toward workstations with multiple GPUs. A pair would be used for a 4x GPU + Threadripper setup, for example.

Become a Patron!
Back