Power Supplies to Get More Expensive? Cost of 80 Plus Certification Reportedly Triples

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
80-plus-gold-platinum-titanium-logos-1024x576.jpg
Image: Plug Load Solutions

An investigative piece by Igor’s Lab has revealed that Plug Load Solutions’ 80 Plus certification, a seal of approval in the power supply world, has gotten much more expensive. As an updated licensing and certification policy shows, initial power supply testing fees for general PSUs (e.g., 115 V) have increased to a costly $6,000 per unit.

That, according to Igor, is an exorbitant 300 percent increase from the original price of $2,000. Manufacturers that sell rebranded power supplies (e.g., Corsair and Deepcool) and seek 80 Plus certification can also expect to pay $3,500 (note that these PSUs have technically been certified already).

Such fees can quickly add up, as...

Continue reading...

What the "F" man ... these cert guys are already saving money by working from home .. I mean .. come on!

So power supplies are going to be 6000$+ per unit from now on!?
Talk about inflation!
Oh wait, its per model?
Is that really a lot for big runs?
Yes yes i know they use large division to " control costs to the fraction of a cent"
I mean if you was planning on doing a model production run of total of 1000 units, then 4 extra bucks per unit sounds like a thing, heck even the original 2 bucks sound like a lot.

I havent seen a decent PSU under $100 for a while, $120-$160 seems to be the new normal.

Become a Patron!
Back