[PR] Fraunhofer Announces H.266/VVC Video Coding Standard, Reduces File Size by Around 50 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
fraunhofer-vvc-1024x576.jpg
Image: Fraunhofer HHI

After devoting several years to its research and standardization, Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners from industry including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the new global video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC). This new standard offers improved compression, which reduces data requirements by around 50% of the bit rate relative to the previous standard H.265/High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) without compromising visual quality. In other words, H.266/VVC offers faster video transmission for equal perceptual quality. Overall, H.266/VVC provides efficient transmission and storage of all video resolutions from SD to HD up to 4K and 8K, while supporting high dynamic range video and omnidirectional 360° video.

Today, compressed video data make up 80% of global...

Continue reading...

Same image quality with less data is great! 50% is quite a leap.

The downside? Now we all need to buy new hardware again if we want hardware decode.

This used to not be much of a problem for my three x86 based HTPC's. Just buy a low end GPU of the latest gen and use that.

Thing is, they don't make low end GPU's anymore. For the longest time my HTPC's used GT 720's. They were perfect for this.

So now this means we are all going to have to buy new CPU's to get the latest IGP capability, which means new motherboards and possibly new RAM too.

Woohoo! :p

Would be awesome if they would just use an FPGA for video decode solutions, which would just be reflashed by the drivers every time a new standard comes out, but noo...

Honestly, I still do everything in AVC for the greater compatibility. Haven't even bothered to transition to HVEC, and I bet it will be a REALLY long time before I transition to VVC :p
Same here, although it's a great excuse to finally upgrade my rig...

Not sure I'll convert my library. Everything is HEVC now. Good enough, I guess, until I do the next "purging" of stuff I don't ever plan on watching again.

HEVC is great and honestly I wont be re-doing my library for some time. It would take forever on my current media server setup haha.

Same image quality with less data is great! 50% is quite a leap.

The downside? Now we all need to buy new hardware again if we want hardware decode.

This used to not be much of a problem for my three x86 based HTPC's. Just buy a low end GPU of the latest gen and use that.

Thing is, they don't make low end GPU's anymore. For the longest time my HTPC's used GT 720's. They were perfect for this.

So now this means we are all going to have to buy new CPU's to get the latest IGP capability, which means new motherboards and possibly new RAM too.

Woohoo! :p

Would be awesome if they would just use an FPGA for video decode solutions, which would just be reflashed by the drivers every time a new standard comes out, but noo...

$50 Raspberry Pi 3 says HI. Even my ancient RPi 2 can do x265 97% of the time (and I discovered you have to use a good power supply and cable, the TV USB port doesn't cut it any more )

Seriously though.... this needed to happen if 8k was ever going to become a real media standard. Which I'm still not convinced it will. We are still all watching 1080i/720p broadcast/cable.

I have re-done my Plex library too many times... 480p MP4 to 1080p x264 to 1080p x265 and just starting to dabble in 4k x265 but ripping 4k is such a tremendous PITA that I'm going to skip it.

$50 Raspberry Pi 3 says HI. Even my ancient RPi 2 can do x265 97% of the time (and I discovered you have to use a good power supply and cable, the TV USB port doesn't cut it any more )

Seriously though.... this needed to happen if 8k was ever going to become a real media standard. Which I'm still not convinced it will. We are still all watching 1080i/720p broadcast/cable.

I have re-done my Plex library too many times... 480p MP4 to 1080p x264 to 1080p x265 and just starting to dabble in 4k x265 but ripping 4k is such a tremendous PITA that I'm going to skip it.

Yeah, I'm still doing x86, I just can't bring myself to switch to an ARM stick.

I'm with you. 8k is A waste. Even if your screen is so big and your so close to it that it fills your entire field of view, I'm not convinced anyone can tell the difference between it and 4k.

Become a Patron!
Back