[PR] JEDEC Publishes DDR5 Standard, Twice the Performance of DDR4

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sk-hynix-ddr5-ram-1024x576.jpg
Image: SK hynix

JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, the global leader in the development of standards for the microelectronics industry, today announced the publication of the widely-anticipated JESD79-5 DDR5 SDRAM standard. The standard addresses demand requirements being driven by intensive cloud and enterprise data center applications, providing developers with twice the performance and much improved power efficiency. JESD79-5 DDR5 is now available for download from the JEDEC website.

DDR5 was designed to meet increasing needs for efficient performance in a wide range of applications including client systems and high-performance servers. DDR5 incorporates memory technology that leverages and extends industry know-how and experience developing previous DDR memories. The standard is architected to enable...

Continue reading...

Double the speed! .1 volt savings! Only triple latency! *probably, I made that up
I really wish they would get latency down. I know the speed normally makes up for it but why not get at both problems?
I am speaking too soon so I will wait and see.

Double the speed! .1 volt savings! Only triple latency! *probably, I made that up
DDR5-4800 with a CAS latency of 21 would have the same access time as DDR4-3200 with a CAS latency of 14. It looks like there are new features and changes compared to DDR4, though, so we'll wait and see what latency actually looks like. The fine grain refresh feature could be one of those things that improve latency.

Become a Patron!
Back