Prime 1 Studio Launches Pre-Orders for The Last of Us Part II Ellie “The Theater” Statue

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Prime 1 Studio has announced that its Ellie "The Theater" statue is now available for pre-order through its official website. Part of a limited collection of 750 units and priced at $1,149, the highly detailed 1/4 scale statue was inspired by a key scene from The Last of Part II, where Ellie faces off against Abby in the Pinnacle Theater. The Abby “The Confrontation” statue, which completes the set, is also available for pre-order for $1,099, although there is low stock remaining at the time of this writing. Both of these statues measure nearly 23 inches high and weigh around 45 pounds.

See full article...

You know, I wanted one of these, but after adding shipping, customs, and taxes you are looking at the price of a car. I might be a geek, but not that much of a geek.

Why do these kinds of statues always have some insaaaaaane prices? Money that can be much better spent on computer components or car parts or just something other than a piece of art that sits still and does nothing, and all you do is look at it.

Money that can be much better spent on computer components or car parts or just something other than a piece of art that sits still and does nothing, and all you do is look at it.
You can say that about anything "art" really - it only exists because people like it; there is no functional reason for art, otherwise it wouldn't be "art", it would be called something else.

Why do these kinds of statues always have some insaaaaaane prices?
Usually because they are limited run and hand painted.
a piece of art that sits still and does nothing, and all you do is look at it.
Do you not have any decoration then, nothing that has no utility?
Although I'd argue that decoration and art has utility, it feels good to look at nice things and appreciate their craftsmanship and details.

You can say that about anything "art" really - it only exists because people like it; there is no functional reason for art, otherwise it wouldn't be "art", it would be called something else.
Do you not have any decoration then, nothing that has no utility?
Although I'd argue that decoration and art has utility, it feels good to look at nice things and appreciate their craftsmanship and details.
Yeah you guys have a point. It's just, you know, I look at the wedding ring my friend got his wife. He spent $10K on it. For a metal ring that has some fancy stone on it. Yeah sure, it has meaning to both of them, and I suppose it's nice to look at, and yeah I can appreciate what it took to make that thing (I used to work for a jewelry store myself), but good gawd that's a hefty chunk of change (ironically his own wedding band is $14!!!). I remember a family member bought a Ford Focus in 2001 for $12K. $10K is a 3rd of the price of a Toyota GR86 (if you can find one at MSRP). I just feel like that money should go into something that has a lot more utility than just being a decoration. These statues of game/movie/anime/comic/whatever characters are cool and all, but when I see prices like the ones for this Ellie statue, I start thinking about what kind of PC components I can put that money towards. I don't think I can spend over a grand for something I'm just going to look at. You can get some sick-@ss RC vehicles for that kind of money.

I really hope my family doesn't spend any money on a casket when I die. A ton of cash just to throw a dead body in a fancy box that then gets buried deep in the ground. F*ck dat. Just stick my naked corpse in a wooden crate or throw it on top of some logs and just set fire to the thing. I don't believe in wasting land space on the dead either, so no burial for me.

I really hope my family doesn't spend any money on a casket when I die. A ton of cash just to throw a dead body in a fancy box that then gets buried deep in the ground.
When you have a funeral, as odd as this sounds to say, it isn't about the dead person. It's about all the people left behind and what makes them feel better.

I totally understand your position, and I have to admit, when I'm dead and gone, I honestly wish they would just chuck me in a hole in the back yard -- after all, I won't care and it would put me in the place I cared about most in the world. But I know my family wouldn't feel any closure from that, and would probably be freaked out knowing I'm still haunting the back yard. So while I hope they don't go out of their way to do anything fancy, I also realize they will feel the need to do ~something~.

Kinda like why moms always want to hold birthday parties for 1 and 2 year olds -- the cake and balloons aren't for the kid, they don't know what's going on and no chance in hell they will remember anything -- it's all for the mom - mostly so they have that opportunity to take pictures.

Yeah you guys have a point. It's just, you know, I look at the wedding ring my friend got his wife. He spent $10K on it. For a metal ring that has some fancy stone on it. Yeah sure, it has meaning to both of them, and I suppose it's nice to look at, and yeah I can appreciate what it took to make that thing (I used to work for a jewelry store myself), but good gawd that's a hefty chunk of change (ironically his own wedding band is $14!!!).
You are preaching to the choir there, I'm not a big fan of jewelry, I don't even wear a wrist watch. Anyone who buys me jewelry as a present proves they don't know me at all. I don't consider it art. I mean you are not looking at your fingers while being out and about, unlike home decoration, you don't wear a pinky ring for yourself, you wear it for others to see. So to me chains and rings and such are narcissistic flaunting of wealth (pretend or otherwise).

I remember a family member bought a Ford Focus in 2001 for $12K. $10K is a 3rd of the price of a Toyota GR86 (if you can find one at MSRP). I just feel like that money should go into something that has a lot more utility than just being a decoration. These statues of game/movie/anime/comic/whatever characters are cool and all, but when I see prices like the ones for this Ellie statue, I start thinking about what kind of PC components I can put that money towards. I don't think I can spend over a grand for something I'm just going to look at. You can get some sick-@ss RC vehicles for that kind of money.
I don't think a PC component is comparable, let's say I spend $2000 on a 4090, sure a few games will run at higher FPS, but is that really worth that kind of money? Not to mention depreciation. While collectibles usually appreciate in value.

I have a bunch of RC vehicles, but those have no real utility either. Sure it's functional, which is cool, but on 364 of 365 days of the year they are sitting on a shelf* just as a statue would.

*or in a closet for the less display worthy ones

Become a Patron!
Back